Drop-in ranges

Status
Not open for further replies.

olc

Drop-in ranges are commonly used for ADA installations due to counter height requirements.

Can drop-in ranges be connected by cord & plug?

Either way does the range require a disconnect?

Can the circuit breaker be the disconnect?

Can the circuit breaker be the disconnect in non-dwelling unit situations (i.e. a community kitchen)?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Drop-in ranges are commonly used for ADA installations due to counter height requirements.

Can drop-in ranges be connected by cord & plug?
I guess it would depend on the manufacturers instructions. If the unit comes with a whip as most do then IMO you cannot use a cord and plug

Either way does the range require a disconnect?
Yes the range requires a disconnect but a breaker lock would be an acceptable means for a disconnect

Can the circuit breaker be the disconnect?
Yes see above

Can the circuit breaker be the disconnect in non-dwelling unit situations (i.e. a community kitchen)?
Rules are the same in dwelling and commercial for this application

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Would it be permissible to install a male cap on the whip from the range?

I doubt it is approved for the purpose. IMO, if a cord and plug was allowed then it would come as the range units do but for some reason they don't. Not sure why it is that way.

olc

For discussion:

422.31(B) - circuit breaker can serve as disconnect if with-in sight or lockable. I don't see exceptions (unless the range has a power switch).

422.16 (3) - is a drop in range a wall-mounted oven or counter-mounted cooktop? (it is kind of both)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
For discussion:

422.31(B) - circuit breaker can serve as disconnect if with-in sight or lockable. I don't see exceptions (unless the range has a power switch).
Yes a breaker lock will suffice as stated earlier

422.16 (3) - is a drop in range a wall-mounted oven or counter-mounted cooktop? (it is kind of both)
Does it matter? IMO, a drop in range is not either of these. It is both as you said not one or the other.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I've never heard of a "drop-in range".......is the OP talking about a "counter mounted cooktop"?
I think it is called a slide in range. It is a range with a trim piece that over hangs onto the counter to keep food from falling between the cracks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Hmmmm....just googled it...... not the same as a slide in. there are drop in ranges that appear to drop into the cabinet and not reach the flooring, but sit on a "cabinet" base.
Right one hangs on the cabinet edge the other slides in and has overhangs but they are basically all the same. You have free standing range, slide in, and drop in. I had not seen a drop in in a long time- I thought they stopped making them. The fact is they are all ranges.

olc

Drop in ranges do not sit on the floor. (as noted above they are used in ADA situations to allow a lower counter height)

The way I read it - if they don't have a drawer that you can pull out and reach the plug, you need another disconnect (e.g. locking CB).

Status
Not open for further replies.