670 foot pull. ALuminum versus Copper Pull Tensile Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is their a pull tensile chart somewhere.

I have 670 foot pull. Using ALuminum underground exterior pull. I am pull thru 360 degrees of bends. Planned on no having pullbox.

should I consider pull box. Would like to see pull chart on this. But don't know if that would help entirely.

Don't know if they have no lube insulation neither for alumimun.

Uncharted for me, Never pulled a wire that long. 3 250 mcm. Black red blue, 1 250 Neutral. For calc.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
You need a bunch of information to perform calculation.

If this is something never done before, you may want to enlist the services of a more experienced individual in this area to help you understand what is needed. That will be far cheaper than replacing the cable because it was damaged on install.

donaldelectrician

I have 670 foot pull. Using ALuminum underground exterior pull. I am pull thru 360 degrees of bends. Planned on no having pullbox.

should I consider pull box. Would like to see pull chart on this. But don't know if that would help entirely.

Uncharted for me, Never pulled a wire that long. 3 250 mcm. Black red blue, 1 250 Neutral. For calc.

Tractor Pull ?

Don

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

Why so many bends? We do long pulls quite a bit but ideally there are only two 90's with LR sweeps, one at each end for a run this long. If any transitions need to be made in the middle of the run we have the ditch dug in a long arc and bow the conduit into place.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I didn't know anything about pulling calculators till I joined this forum.

AL wire is most likely RHHW or USE and I doubt that there is a simpull version of that.

No reason to add a ground box unless you just want one. Make sure you have a good rope, use soap generously during the pull and you should be good to go.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

AL wire is most likely RHHW or USE and I doubt that there is a simpull version of that.

No reason to add a ground box unless you just want one. Make sure you have a good rope, use soap generously during the pull and you should be good to go.

XHHW is very common, they also make THHN, but I've never used it. We use USE RHH typically for our pulls, I like to think that gives it a little tougher jacket to help keep it from breaking down over time. I do enough aluminum underground repairs that I never want to work on the ones I've installed.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
XHHW is very common, they also make THHN, but I've never used it. We use USE RHH typically for our pulls, I like to think that gives it a little tougher jacket to help keep it from breaking down over time. I do enough aluminum underground repairs that I never want to work on the ones I've installed.
Wow, I've never seen AL THHN.

I like USE RHH just fine too, also.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO

Maybe not a simpull version...but their is indeed a "SuperSlick Elite" version of it with a COF of .17 available.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician

670' pull with Aluminum 250 MCM and only (4) 90's.....I would not loose any sleep over it, thats a baby pull. Leave the lube at home, they make aluminum THHN with simpull/no lube jacket. I use it all the time. Use atleast a 1" bull rope and make a good head/basket. The aluminum is so light it will pull easy compared to copper.....even 670' of it.

Does anyone know how brutal it was back in the day with rubber and cloth cables?

If new tech pipe and wire is tough at times, I wonder what that was like.

Anyone know any real old timers?

Does anyone know how brutal it was back in the day with rubber and cloth cables?

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO

It must have been HORRIFICALLY brutal since you double posted it...lol:angel:

JRW 70

Occupation
Testing and Engineer
Pulling Rubber Wires

Pulling Rubber Wires

Usually, the crew @ my work ( utility ) uses talc powder to make
the rubber wires less sticky, thus GREATLY easing the pull.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Usually, the crew @ my work ( utility ) uses talc powder to make
the rubber wires less sticky, thus GREATLY easing the pull.

I've used it also. The first time you get the baby powder out you definitely get a few funny looks and a couple smart aleck comments.

Then you use it and they understand.:cool:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

aluminum does not weight that much..... but no ground? 3 hots, 1 neutral, no ground?

i have pulled recently 250MCM aluminum that distance, actually a bit farther.
here's my experience:

requested southwire simpull. was shunted to another "simpull equivalent."
accepted the product, bought 5,000' reels. pulls were thru underground pull boxes,
in 3" pvc. the first one was 750', in 4" conduit. i oversized for future expansion.

as it was a lubeless wire, started the pull dry.... made it to the first 45 kick, and it
screeched to a halt. dumped 5 gallons of poly water down the pipe, crossed my fingers,
and tried to make it 400' to the underground pull box. using 2,500# mule tape.

took 4 hours. think landing a 12 lb trout with 6 lb. line... got the head to the box, changed
out the mule tape for a pulling rope, soaped the crap out of it at the box, finished the pull.
the first of 12 panel pulls, of varying lengths.

next job, current one, demanded southwire simpull, refused to accept anything else.
pulled 500 mcm aluminum, in 4" pvc, dry. no lube.

first pull was 610' long. pulled it nonstop in about 30 minutes. strain gauge on tugger
touched 1,000# pull briefly getting pulling head out of pipe around capstan. most of
the time, it was bouncing between 250# and 500#.

Status
Not open for further replies.