Copper and Aluminum buss touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigJohnny

I have recently seen where 0n a 400 Amp 120/208V 3 ph meter main combo from Sylvainia when a lost leg during construction temp power use caused bolts that connected the CU & AL buss together burned. As a quick fix a EC re bolted and put Nolux on CU & AL buss. This is a short term solution long term problem. There is another 400 amp unit next t it and when opened it to has CU & AL buss but has plastic spacers between. I have never seen this and why would this be done at the factory or is this why Sylvainia is no longer making these units. I just don't like IMG_20141203_151709.jpg IMG_20141203_151942.jpg IMG_20141203_152235.jpg it and think the unit should be changed. What do you think?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am not sure what you think the problem is.

Are you thinking they should not have repaired the damage in the way they did?

Last edited:

norcal

"Or is this why Sylvania is no longer making these units." Sylvania is no longer around either under their previous name, Zinsco, or their successor Challenger.

iwire

Staff member
Aluminum bus and terminals are generally tin plated so it is not an issue.

All the 'no-ox' is doing is making a mess.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
As iwire said; the 'goop' is simply making a mess.

The biggest problem is the apparent lack of expansion compensation washers, like Bellville ones.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
As iwire said; the 'goop' is simply making a mess.

The biggest problem is the apparent lack of expansion compensation washers, like Bellville ones.
:thumbsup:
There would also be concern about galvanic corrosion IF the joint were exposed to weather or high humidity, but the scale of the connection would make that a long term concern only.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
:thumbsup:
There would also be concern about galvanic corrosion IF the joint were exposed to weather or high humidity, but the scale of the connection would make that a long term concern only.
This is even less of an issue if the aluminum bus bar is tin-plated.

But left as shown in the picture, I would expect another failure, someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.