Copper grounding conductor to panel in agricultural barn

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

According to ART. 547.5f for agricultural buildings; i'd need the grounding conductor in copper in either a separate equipment ground conductor either covered or insulated In copper. Does this mean I'm not able to use the XHHW-2 aluminum conductor I'd run w/ the aluminum feeders? Does this refer to the grounding or the grounded conductor?

HR...

mwm1752

I read the copper requirement applies to SE cables only and (F) refers to underground installation. Equipment ground is not the grounded conductor per definition. Your question appears to cover all locations within Art. 547. Please clarify.

547.5 Wiring Methods
(A) Wiring Systems. Types UF, NMC, copper SE cables, jacketed Type MC cable, rigid nonmetallic conduit, liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit, or other cables or raceways suitable for the location, with approved termination fittings, shall be the wiring methods employed. The wiring methods of Article 502, Part II, shall be permitted for areas described in 547.1(A).
(F) Separate Equipment Grounding Conductor. Where an equipment grounding conductor is installed underground within a location falling under the scope of Article 547, it shall be insulated or covered.

Last edited:

howardrichman

I'm referring to installing a sub service underground in pvc conduit to a main breaker panel in the entrance of this building. I read the insulated or covered ground conductor would have also to be copper. I might be looking at this wrong.

HR...

Last edited:

mwm1752

I'm referring to installing a sub service underground in pvc conduit to a main breaker panel in the entrance of this building. I read the insulated or covered ground conductor would have also to be copper. I might be looking at this wrong.

HR...

Are you defining the "sub service" as a feeder? You do not have to use a SE cable as a feeder or as a service lateral that is one option. There are several types of wet location conductor (AL & CU) that can be used in an approved raceway system.
The ECG is required to be insulated.

Status
Not open for further replies.