Thread: Load Calculations for a Barn

Load Calculations for a Barn

How would you do a load calculation for a barn? I don't see it specified in the code anywhere. Barn is primarily storage but will need general lighting and receptacles.

Quote Originally Posted by crispysonofa View Post
    How would you do a load calculation for a barn? I don't see it specified in the code anywhere. Barn is primarily storage but will need general lighting and receptacles.

Only way I know of is to know the loads that will be used. There is no load calculation, standard or optional, in the NEC for a barn that I'm aware of.
    If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Thank you for the reply, I didn't see one either which is what sparked my interest. Would I calculate all the loads with a power factor of 100%?

JMO but you can consider a barn as "Warehouses (storage)" if it is in fact used for nothing more than storage...

...or you can calculate by using connected load. Lighting per 220.14(D) or (E). Receptacles per 220.14(H) or (I).
    I'll never get there. No matter where I go, I'm always here.

We do them based on owners input and our own experience with some added fudge factor=highly scientific load calc.

Thanks for the input!

Watchout.

I see you are from New England, DON'T rely on the home owner alone. They don't know what a bucket heater 100w - 1000w for a stall draws, they just say it won't be much. Most put in water heaters in each stall and a tank heater 1250w-1500w outside plugged in to the barn.

Cowboy
    A cowboy may get thrown , but they always get up and walk forward.

"It just plugs into a standard outlet"
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.