110.26 Working Space Clarification

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEC User

Does a disconnect switch require working space? In other words, does it fall under Article 110.26A as an equipment likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance while energized?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Our AHJs don't require working space if the disconnect does not have overcurrent protection.
Think of a disconnect installed next to an air handler in a suspended ceiling, it does not require working space but the panel that feeds it does.

jimdavis

I failed an elevator inspection last month over two disconnects which didn't have proper working clearance. These were non-fused disconnects and the elevator "machine room" was the size of a small closet.

kwired

Electron manager
Does a disconnect switch require working space? In other words, does it fall under Article 110.26A as an equipment likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing or maintenance while energized?

I suggest you check with the AHJ for the installation. As you can see from replies so far what flies in one jurisdiction may not in another.

Wording of 110.26 is vague enough that workspace could be required for a 1900 box as has been mentioned, this would also make problems with a lot of equipment that is not easy to access, yet we still see such equipment everywhere.

mwm1752

The likely to be energized is another clue -- can you turn off the OCPD to the branch circuit? And if so is the OCPD readily accessible? Just because an electrician chooses to work on live wiring does not mean it is likely to be energized. Every circumstance might dictate a different answer. As for you question with a non fused disconnect normally no.

kwired

Electron manager
The likely to be energized is another clue -- can you turn off the OCPD to the branch circuit? And if so is the OCPD readily accessible? Just because an electrician chooses to work on live wiring does not mean it is likely to be energized. Every circumstance might dictate a different answer. As for you question with a non fused disconnect normally no.
Everything out there can de- energized as well, so why even bother with the "likely to be energized" portion? Some items may not be as simple as others to de- energize but is still possible.

mwm1752

Everything out there can de- energized as well, so why even bother with the "likely to be energized" portion? Some items may not be as simple as others to de- energize but is still possible.

you do not turn off the entire power panel to change a breaker "likely to be energized" an exterior disconnect for an appliance might be fed from an interior panel behind locked doors rendering the OCPD non readily accessible "likely to be energized" I would interprete the "likely to be enrgized" is entered as all circumstances cannot be anticipated and judgement calls are required. Anyone could summize most electricians work on devices & j boxes that are energized more than 50% of the time. should we now require working space for kitchen countertop recepts? The code allows judgement calls for "likely to be enrgized" which is why we bother.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
This all hinges on what the word "require" means in this section. If it means that there is absolutely no way to do the work with the equipment de-energized, then there is no required work space for any equipment as you can always find a way to do the work, even troubleshooting, with the power off. If it means that some one is likely to work on the equipment while it is energized, then it applies to all electrical equipment...that includes almost everything per Article 100.

This section needs to have wording specifying the types of equipment that the rule applies to, much like the wording in 110.26(E), but the code making panel has refused to accept proposal that limit the types of equipment that 110.26(A) applies to.

kwired

Electron manager
you do not turn off the entire power panel to change a breaker "likely to be energized" an exterior disconnect for an appliance might be fed from an interior panel behind locked doors rendering the OCPD non readily accessible "likely to be energized" I would interprete the "likely to be enrgized" is entered as all circumstances cannot be anticipated and judgement calls are required. Anyone could summize most electricians work on devices & j boxes that are energized more than 50% of the time. should we now require working space for kitchen countertop recepts? The code allows judgement calls for "likely to be enrgized" which is why we bother.
You kind of missed my point yet hit on some more examples that I may have given.

I was trying to say - what is the point of NEC saying "likely to be energized" - when most AHJ's look at it as everything "can be energized" when someone is working on it. It is possible to open the supply on anything that gets worked on, even service gear - doesn't mean it always happens or is deemed practical.

This leaves "likely to be energized" wide open for interpretation, and as you kind of pointed out - remove a cover off a 1900 box with live conductors inside and maybe it is subject to 110.26 clearances if you have the strictest interpretations.

mwm1752

You are required to do so per 70E and OSHA.

Got me there Don, == kinda reminds me of a learn electricity book I got in the 70's which stated " always keep one hand in your pocket when working live equipment" Understood the reasoning but could never quite get the method to work. :blink:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I was trying to say - what is the point of NEC saying "likely to be energized" - when most AHJ's look at it as everything "can be energized" when someone is working on it. It is possible to open the supply on anything that gets worked on, even service gear - doesn't mean it always happens or is deemed practical. ...
( A) Working Space. Working space for equipment operating at 600 volts, nominal, or less to ground and likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized shall comply with the dimensions of 110.26(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3) or as required or permitted elsewhere in this Code.
You are leaving out a key word in the rule. This really goes to my point as to the meaning of the word "required" as used in this section.

You can read it as it is never required as you can almost always find a way to do the work with the power off and if it means that, then almost no electrical equipment would need 110.26(A) work spaces.

Or you can read it as what the common field practices are, and in that case it would apply to all electrical equipment, because it is likely that all electrical equipment would be examined, adjusted, serviced or maintained while it is energized.

However given the code definition of "equipment" that brings up a lot more issues. The code required kitchen counter top receptacle is equipment and cannot have the required 110.26(A) work space.

This section really needs a lot of work. Maybe there were some public inputs for the 2017 cycle to address these issue, but I have not started looking at the public inputs yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.