Old NEC PDFs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dfmischler

Occupation
Facilities Manager
I might consider them. How much? :)

But does any one have the PDF versions or at least how to obtain them?

Scan the hardcopies (process them with OCR software and proofread them if you want them searchable) and convert them to PDF.

The PDF file format did not exist at the time that those codes were active (IIRC PDF was first made public in 1993). Who would have bothered to scan and convert superceded code books?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Scan the hardcopies (process them with OCR software and proofread them if you want them searchable) and convert them to PDF.

That is alot of work.... If they had a digital version then it would be an easy job but again I am sure there is probably no reason to do it.

You can call NFPA and see if they have converted it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe Mark Shunk had the bindings cut on some old books so he could just put them in the scanners document feeder to make it easier. :)

I still would not want that job. Even the smaller earlier versions would be a task. Marc is nuts....:D

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I believe Mark Shunk had the bindings cut on some old books so he could just put them in the scanners document feeder to make it easier. :)
Yes, there are companies that will do that for you. My son had that done with some of his engineering text books that he wanted to keep, but did not want the bulk of the physical books.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Neither would I and I don't know how you would deal with the two side to scan issue.

I can't argue with that last part but I do miss his participation.

Our office has a high end scan/print/copy machine, a Ricoh. The ADF will handle 2-sided documents for scanning directly to PDF. If you still have a Windows XP machine lying around you can get a free and legal copy of Adobe Acrobat Pro 8.0 from Adobe and then OCR the scan. I've done this on a few documents myself, and as far as I can tell it works great.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Predecessors to, and early versions of, the NEC, 1881-1918, PDF format.

Click here.
Very cool, Ken. Thanks. This fills in the hole in my collection. I hadn't been able to afford the actual hard copies that I've seen sold.

NOTE: Ken's download link, if you start it, is to a single zipped up file that is almost Half A Gigabyte in size. . . so plan accordingly if you don't have a screaming fast connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.