Terminating Romex in a PVC Junction Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

There is a chance but I don't know how likely it is that an energized wire comes loose and touches the metal connector. But there is a chance.

I think Bob settled that with the citation in a post above where a connector is considered equipment by the nec. And therefore the connector must be grounded. Now I am wondering if a metal strap or staple made for nonmetallic cables is equipment.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I think Bob settled that with the citation in a post above where a connector is considered equipment by the nec. And therefore the connector must be grounded. Now I am wondering if a metal strap or staple made for nonmetallic cables is equipment.

I would call the staples and straps hardware. Even if they were equipment it has NOT likely to become energized, so bonding is not required.

mkgrady

I would call the staples and straps hardware. Even if they were equipment it has NOT likely to become energized, so bonding is not required.

I don't know if straps and staples are equipment as defined by nec either but they could be more likely to become energized than a locknut on a pvc male adapter.

paul

Use these.

NMUF50.jpg

http://www.aifittings.com/catalog/n...ings-and-supports/non-metallic-uf-connectors/

iwire

Staff member

The section I posted does not use the term 'likely to be energized'.

Strictly speaking 250.4(A)(2) requires grounding of staples.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The section I posted does not use the term 'likely to be energized'.

Strictly speaking 250.4(A)(2) requires grounding of staples.
Strictly speaking, it does not (JMO)...

(2) Grounding of Electrical Equipment. Normally non?
current-carrying conductive materials enclosing electricalconductors or equipment, or forming part of such equipment,
shall be connected to earth so as to limit the voltage
to ground on these materials.

The most basic definition of enclose is to surround. A staple does not surround the conductors. It is open ended.

iwire

Staff member
I don't get how you arrived at that conclusion. EMT is circular in cross section and completely surround the conductors within.

Because EMT is open ended which was mentioned in your previous post

Now I understand you are talking about the U shape of a staple. That being the case I will agree with you.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Use all of the above except the chase nipple, instead use a close nipple inside the box with lock ring. Then as I wire said you have to bound the metallic connectors. Put a bond bushing. As already said I would use a metal box.

I have seen Bakelite and plastic boxes with metal clamps that would be impossible to ground. The screwheads are too small to hold a wire. I remember how xome old timers used to ground a metal box with the clamp screw.

I have seen a few plastic pull out disconnects with warning labels that metallic raceways must be bonded, yet gave little or no space for bushings. Major BS that a producer would knowingly make such crap. Every time, I wound up replacing with a metal box. If I'd had 2 water line ground clamps at those times, maybe I would have used them to bond raeways.

Manufacturers, please build products that solve problems, not create new headaches. We have enough headaches without you creating more.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
I looked at those for the OP'ers purpose. They are not listed for NM, only UF (yes I checked the UL listing).
Not sure why anyone would not agree with this listing. These fittings are for use in damp or wet locations, both of which are locations which nonmetallic-sheathed cable (Not Romex..lol.) are prohibited. beyond the "what if" i choose to use them in a dry location response....just means the manufacturer did not submit them for evaluation and investigating for such use. Also due the location of the intended use of this fitting, the more rigid UF cable would form a seal where as the NM-B would not due to it's construction.

Just my thoughts on that.....to be honest I have never looked up the listing for that fitting...guess because I never intended to use it in a dry location with nonmetallic-sheathed cable.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
OK....I will let iwire develop a method to bond all staples in a residential dwelling installation...lol.....have at it !

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
doesnt NEC just require romex to be secured within 8" of the plastic box w/o need for a box clamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.