Termination DLO Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have a job where the E/C has terminated DLO/RHH cable (4/0 & larger) on SqureD I line breaker standard lugs.
As we are under the '08 Code, the new wording of 110.14 is not in effect but based on UL DMVV we have agreed proper termination need to be made.
I have not encountered this problem previously. What are the options ?

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
I have a job where the E/C has terminated DLO/RHH cable (4/0 & larger) on SqureD I line breaker standard lugs.
As we are under the '08 Code, the new wording of 110.14 is not in effect but based on UL DMVV we have agreed proper termination need to be made.
I have not encountered this problem previously. What are the options ?

Augie, I have used Mac-adapters to make the transition or copper bands. The bands are a lot cheaper and are simply placed over the strands and encircle them. This will keep the fine strands on the DLO cable from flaring out of the lug. Most supply houses that carry DLO carry the copper bands.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
some of these things are not listed, although they work fine.

panduit makes some compression connectors that are listed for finer stranded conductors. there are also at least some mechanical connectors that are listed for use with finer stranded conductors.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If one were to use a non-listed method of making this connection (which I am in no way advising...) then would you really want to use something that puts adhesive between your conductor and the lug? That tape is made for RFI shielding, and the texture is to provide some contact through the adhesive.

Heavy weight copper foil is exactly what is used when attaching fine stranded wire to 'cam-loc' connectors using set screws. Not quite the same application, but at least a similar listed application.

-Jon

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Supposedly there are listed ferrules for the purpose of landing fine-stranded wire in mechanical lugs, and I believe use requires the manufacturer specified crimper. I didn't research the matter to any great degree. I did a search on UL's site, got a link, and it led to a "page not found"...???

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Supposedly there are listed ferrules for the purpose of landing fine-stranded wire in mechanical lugs, and I believe use requires the manufacturer specified crimper. I didn't research the matter to any great degree. I did a search on UL's site, got a link, and it led to a "page not found"...???

There are no listed ferrules for such purposes. However, UL has said any manufacturer's ferrule can be used with fine stranded wire in a UL508a panel.

However, that page no longer comes up at UL.com.

iwire

Staff member
why not. a listed lug can be used for anything. a recognized lug has to be listed to be used with a particular breaker.

Because the breaker makers provide a list of acceptable lugs for their breakers.

It is strictly a listing issue and certainly an inspector or AHJ could allow it but if I choose to do so I am gambling that they will allow when they could reject it based on 110.3(B).

In the OPs case it is a I-Line breaker and I know for a fact those have a 'lug list' printed right on the front of them.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Contractor proposes to use these:
Burndy: YF4/040UI

but I can't see where they are suitable for DLO cable. (nor can I see where they are not)

input appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.