Lack of PPE / MILD GORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
This is the result of not wearing PPE while driving a Ground Rod by hand. I was using a tool much like a fence post driver but without handles.

I raised the tool a bit to high and when I brought it down I was off the GR.

Attachments

• Ouch.JPG
    Ouch.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 0

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
"Ppe", or gloves, wouldn't have helped you much there. That'll hurt all the time every time

kwired

Electron manager
This is the result of not wearing PPE while driving a Ground Rod by hand. I was using a tool much like a fence post driver but without handles.

I raised the tool a bit to high and when I brought it down I was off the GR.
I did exactly the same thing about 8 years ago. Rod entered my hand just a little further toward center of my hand then the picture you posted, and exited back side of my hand. Was luck it missed all crucial ligaments, bones, etc. but it did get infected enough a few days later they hospitalized me two days and put me on heavy antibiotics - doctor said you don't want to lose that hand over this.

I had contemplated before then whether or not to purchase the ground rod driver attachment for my rotary hammer - bought one shortly after that was all over with. It cost much less then the hospital bill did.

Never had a manual pounder that didn't have handles, but once got myself in the shin when I raised it a little too high (over the rod), brought it down, and it had to swing somewhere. Lucky the damage was only some skin and my, ahem, dignity.

Use hearing protection with these things, too.

kwired

Electron manager
Handles on the driver may help, but after being stabbed by the rod - I am not convinced it is a guarantee something like that still can not happen.

I have used my "handle less" driver a few times since the incident - but with a lot of caution and usually in soil conditions that are "easy driving".

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
Band-aid and a hug and you're ready to get back to work! What's the holdup!!!!

Occupation
Inspector
Band-aid and a hug and you're ready to get back to work! What's the holdup!!!!

All I can say is I did not get the hug, I work by myself, but I did spend two more hours finishing that job that included getting the last half of the Ground Rod in the ground.

Not a Band-aid but sometimes you have to do what you can.

Attachments

• Man-daid.jpg
    Man-daid.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Handles on the driver only place the injury elsewhere!:weeping:

I was using mine a couple of years ago. I had on gloves as it was cold. I did what I'm guessing all of you that got hurt did. I raised the driver a bit too high. When I drove it down, I somehow managed to hit my finger on the rod. That or I caught it between the handle and rod. It was so cold it hurt some but I didn't realize the damage until later. When I took my gloves off the one on the injured hand was full of blood!:eek:

I lost the fingernail on that one! I usually worry more about the last bit that has to be driven with the sledge. My aim usually carries the hammer towards my shin!:eek:hmy:

I'm waiting for my rotary hammer drill to die so that I can get one large enough to use a gnd rod driver on!:thumbsup:
That or hire that part out.:lol:

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I'm trying to save up the $ to have my DeWalt GR driver repaired. Motor burned out shortly before I closed my business. In fact, that was 1 of the last straws in the decision to close.

Only rods it would not drive were when hitting rock or concrete. Any others, no problem. This driver weighs at least 50 lbs, maybe 75. Drives rods far quicker than any rotary hammer I used.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Had to drive one by hand recently & it nearly killed my shoulders. I drove 3/4 EMT scraps to 3 ft, then another 4 ft. Filled the hole with Clear Glide, let it sit 2 hours, then drove the rod. Even the 1 ft to go was hard driving.

All I can say is I did not get the hug, I work by myself, but I did spend two more hours finishing that job that included getting the last half of the Ground Rod in the ground.

Not a Band-aid but sometimes you have to do what you can.
What, no white "neutral" electrical tape? Looks like something I have done more than once.

Status
Not open for further replies.