Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wrapping 120Vac Electrical cords in Aluminum Foil to Deter Pets

Appreciate the replies

Thank you for your replies.
    I realize that I tend to lean on the side of safety more than most and why your replies are so appreciated.

The spiral wrap was tried and also pepper from what I recall.

The foil is floating and there is no intentional ground return path. The increased probability of someone touching the aluminum foil than a single nicked area was my concern.
    - Resistance is Futile ..... (if less than < 1 ohm) -

Make sure you use a GFCI protected receptacle if you are worried about the foil being a safety problem.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    I would use a spring like we use on barbecue flexible gas connections.
    I have a heated pet sleeping pad and heated pet water dish. Both with a metal coil that is wrapped around the entire length of supply cord (looks like a long spring) that is not connected to an EGC, in fact neither item even has an EGC pin on the supply cord.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I have a heated pet sleeping pad and heated pet water dish. Both with a metal coil that is wrapped around the entire length of supply cord (looks like a long spring) that is not connected to an EGC, in fact neither item even has an EGC pin on the supply cord.

I bet it works.

Without the spring on the gas hose the squirrels will eat through it within a month.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Where mine are exposed I put them in white trunking. I did that to make them tidy but it reduces the risk of the dog biting into them.
    And I make them not accesible. Squirrels could do damage but, with an 80 pound beast with a hard wired prey drive, they are pretty scarce around here...
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.