Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Wrapping 120Vac Electrical cords in Aluminum Foil to Deter Pets

  1. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    939

    Appreciate the replies

    Thank you for your replies.
    I realize that I tend to lean on the side of safety more than most and why your replies are so appreciated.

    The spiral wrap was tried and also pepper from what I recall.

    The foil is floating and there is no intentional ground return path. The increased probability of someone touching the aluminum foil than a single nicked area was my concern.
    - Resistance is Futile ..... (if less than < 1 ohm) -

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Placerville, CA, USA
    Posts
    18,446
    Make sure you use a GFCI protected receptacle if you are worried about the foil being a safety problem.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    33,711
    Quote Originally Posted by infinity View Post
    I would use a spring like we use on barbecue flexible gas connections.
    I have a heated pet sleeping pad and heated pet water dish. Both with a metal coil that is wrapped around the entire length of supply cord (looks like a long spring) that is not connected to an EGC, in fact neither item even has an EGC pin on the supply cord.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    23,932
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    I have a heated pet sleeping pad and heated pet water dish. Both with a metal coil that is wrapped around the entire length of supply cord (looks like a long spring) that is not connected to an EGC, in fact neither item even has an EGC pin on the supply cord.

    I bet it works.

    Without the spring on the gas hose the squirrels will eat through it within a month.
    Rob

    Moderator

    All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    10,333
    Where mine are exposed I put them in white trunking. I did that to make them tidy but it reduces the risk of the dog biting into them.
    And I make them not accesible. Squirrels could do damage but, with an 80 pound beast with a hard wired prey drive, they are pretty scarce around here...
    Si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    fl
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by ELA View Post
    Thank you for your replies.
    I realize that I tend to lean on the side of safety more than most and why your replies are so appreciated.

    The spiral wrap was tried and also pepper from what I recall.

    The foil is floating and there is no intentional ground return path. The increased probability of someone touching the aluminum foil than a single nicked area was my concern.

    I would not do the foil makes no sense. It may or may not deter the pet and if the pet continues to chew it could create a larger electrode to kill the pet not to mention a dangerous foil for persons.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,837
    Quote Originally Posted by markebenson View Post
    I would not do the foil makes no sense. It may or may not deter the pet and if the pet continues to chew it could create a larger electrode to kill the pet not to mention a dangerous foil for persons.
    The intent of the foil is to create an unpleasant "mouth feel" for the pet, not act as a true barrier. Fido gets the foil in his teeth, doesn't like it, and stops chewing. Well, on that item at least.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    33,711
    Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    The intent of the foil is to create an unpleasant "mouth feel" for the pet, not act as a true barrier. Fido gets the foil in his teeth, doesn't like it, and stops chewing. Well, on that item at least.
    Might be the intent, experience tells me not all pets respond to some of those kinds of remedies of using things the pet presumably won't like to prevent certain behaviors/activities.

    Been told cats don't like the crinkle sound of newspaper before. I have a cat that if you give him a newspaper and he is in the right mood he becomes a paper shredder.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •