code questions need article numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
All the answers you are looking for can be found in code books.

Roger

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
All the answers you are looking for can be found in code books.

Roger

I have heard of that a couple of times......is it true? :?

A wise old man once said...."Open your eyes"......."and you shall see!!!"

I pity that old man....:D

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Nic-- you need to ask a question otherwise I will close this thread. Tells us what you want-- we do not charge for help here.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Have about 25 of them willing to pay for help
How have you tried to solve them? We will not just answer your questions, you will need to show us the way you have tried to solve them, we will critique them and show you where to look for the answer.

Roger

Gien the rated load current for an air conditioner is 30 pampered a 50 ampere breaker will not hold the starting current. The maximum size breaker for branch circuit protection amperes

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Gien the rated load current for an air conditioner is 30 pampered a 50 ampere breaker will not hold the starting current. The maximum size breaker for branch circuit protection amperes
For an A/C, you need to look at the MCA and MOCPD on the nameplate.
Search for "MCA" in your code cycle to find relevant articles.
If you choose the breaker size equal to Max OCPD and it still will not hold for starting you have excessive VD or a defective installation.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager

Where have you looked for an answer so far, and why did you look there?

I'll give you two clues for key words you should be looking for - Air conditioning equipment and overcurrent protection, and maybe expand the meaning of overcurrent protection to include short circuit and ground fault protection.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
To go along with GoldDiggers post, have you read through article 440?

Roger

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The way I do these questions is that I look for a few items in the question and match them to something in the NEC. For instance a/c--would be a clue since art. 440 is for a/c units. Now that article is broken down into many parts. The next important part of the question is overcurrent protective device or branch circuit protection. This is a little tricky because you may not be familiar with the terms in the code. You need to look for the section- there are 7 in this article- that deals with branch circuit short circuit and ground fault Protection. This is considered your branch circuit protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.