GFCI Outlet Strip

Status
Not open for further replies.

fifty60

I would like to find an outlet strip with 8 receptacles that will be installed in an environement that can range from -20 C to +60 C. The Humidity range (above 0 C of course) is 20% to 90% relative humidity.

I would like to use a GFCI outlet strip. Will this likely only come with a plug that has the GFCI protection? Or will each outlet in the strip have GFCI protection?

Will the outlet that I plug the outlet strip need to be GFCI? If the main outlet is GFCI, does the outlet strip have to be GFCI? Is there any harm in making the outlets, the plug, and the main outlet all GFCI?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why not just plug the strip into a gfci receptacle. I have never seen a strip that had each receptacle have it's own gfci. I believe the entire strip is protected with one gfci.

fifty60

What I am finding is that the power strip can be purchased with a GFCI plug. The individual sockets are not GFCI.

Would it be preferable to purchase a surge protector that had the GFCI built into the plug? The main socket, which will experience the same conditions as the power strip, will have to be GFCI regardless.

It seems like it would be redundant to buy the power strip with a GFCI plug, and then plug it into a GFCI receptacle..

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If you have a gfci receptacle then you would not need a gfci plug strip. I realize the gfci plug strips don't have each outlet gfci protected. I have not seen one like that. You could come off the receptacle on the wall and run wiremold and use individual gfci receptacles if that is what you are trying to get.

fifty60

I need a power strip that can survive and operate in -20 C to 60 C with humidity ranging (above 0 C) between 20% and 95%. These temperature/humidity ranges are for testing purposes.

Computer equipment will be powered from the strip. I think the best design will be a weatherproof surge protected power strip that plugs into a GFCI receptacle.

I am not having any luck finding a surge protector that is also weather proof. Any recommendations? I am looking for 8 outlets on the power strip.

Whenever I look for "weather proof surge protector" I can only find GFCI that does not have surge protection...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
You can surge protect the panel but there are different degrees of surge protection. They make a surge protector that just plugs into the panel ( a circuit breaker) and then the circuit itself can be surge protected. Would that help

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Here is a Siemens whole house protector

siemens-QSA2020SPD-main-lg.jpg

fifty60

Yes that does help. I have it narrowed down to this Hubbell surge protector:

http://www.newark.com/hubbell-wiring-devices/hbl8ps350yl/suppressor-surge-arrestor-plugin/dp/01X3404

And this tripp lite GFCI power strip:
http://www.tripplite.com/safety-hea...cord-gfci-plug-integrated-cord-wrap~TLM825GF/

I am not sure if the hubbel can handle the 20% to 95% relative humidity. It definitely has the temperature range.

The main outlet will definitely be GFCI, so the outlet does not have to be, but since it needs the "outdoor" style RH rating I think it will have to be the GFCI...

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Have you considered simply hard wiring enough weatherproof duplex receptacles (surface mount?) to accommodate the loads, leaving both surge suppression and GFCI outside the test chamber?
If you want the power strip for flexibility of positioning, it can be argued that you are using it to replace the fixed wiring system.
Put the duplex receptacles over a wide enough area and put in extras.
I think this would be a more robust and professional installation. JMO.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Have you considered simply hard wiring enough weatherproof duplex receptacles (surface mount?) to accommodate the loads, leaving both surge suppression and GFCI outside the test chamber?
If you want the power strip for flexibility of positioning, it can be argued that you are using it to replace the fixed wiring system.
Put the duplex receptacles over a wide enough area and put in extras.
I think this would be a more robust and professional installation. JMO.

I agree with GoldDigger.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
As long as it is not an extension cord, then I can use it? I am now looking at this "temporary power distribution" center. This is definitely not an extension cord. Anyone see any problems with it?

http://products.ericson.com/item/-p...t-gfci-120-v-20-amp/pn-1644?&bc=100|1004|1078
While it's not specifically an extension cord, it's not exactly permanent wiring either.

What function does it perform that a wall-mounted gfci duplex receptacle with protected sibling duplex wouldn't?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
While it's not specifically an extension cord, it's not exactly permanent wiring either.

What function does it perform that a wall-mounted gfci duplex receptacle with protected sibling duplex wouldn't?
It appears to be intended to be used specifically as part of a temporary power setup, say during construction. The entire system, from the temp service point and outlets, would be flexible cord and the GFI performance requirements are more restrictive than for fixed wiring. (Example: the GFCI must open and require manual reset after each input power interruption, such as moving to a different source receptacle.)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
It appears to be intended to be used specifically as part of a temporary power setup, say during construction. The entire system, from the temp service point and outlets, would be flexible cord and the GFI performance requirements are more restrictive than for fixed wiring. (Example: the GFCI must open and require manual reset after each input power interruption, such as moving to a different source receptacle.)
I would consider such features. Not really functions from an end-use perspective. An example of function is, provides GFCI for personnel where there is none. And this is not a function that would be different than permanent GFCI solution. Another example, permits one to get 6' closer to work at a distance (I didn't really check how long the cord is on that item). This would be function that would not be provided by permanent GFCI solution... and likened to an extension "cord", or IOW non-permanent wiring.

With all that said, the question was, in reality, redundant... :p

Smart $

Esteemed Member
With all that's been said about permanent wiring methods vs. temporary, it is still compliant to have a permanent flexible wiring method. For example, cord-pendant receptacles are installed all the time to permit frequent exchange of equipment.

fifty60

There will not be any permanent equipment connected to the outlets. The outlets themselves will be permanent, but they will be moved around the chamber as new product is brought in and out to test. Would this fit the definition as "temporary"? Nothing will be permenantly connected to the receptacle...

I am now looking at these woodhead pendent receptacles...

http://www.woodheadsales.com/pdfs/GFCI Outlet boxes 902.pdf

Smart $

Esteemed Member
There will not be any permanent equipment connected to the outlets. The outlets themselves will be permanent, but they will be moved around the chamber as new product is brought in and out to test. Would this fit the definition as "temporary"? Nothing will be permenantly connected to the receptacle...

I am now looking at these woodhead pendent receptacles...

http://www.woodheadsales.com/pdfs/GFCI Outlet boxes 902.pdf
Temporary and permanent are relative only to the premises wiring, not the equipment. But frequent interchange of equipment will permit wiring portions of the permanent premises wiring with flexible cord. I think you understand the concept, having pointed to the pendant boxes. Still nothing wrong with a bunch of wall outlets. And with all that said, using extension cords is not illegal... :happyno:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I need a power strip that can survive and operate in -20 C to 60 C with humidity ranging (above 0 C) between 20% and 95%. These temperature/humidity ranges are for testing purposes.

Computer equipment will be powered from the strip. I think the best design will be a weatherproof surge protected power strip that plugs into a GFCI receptacle.

Temporary and permanent are relative only to the premises wiring, not the equipment. But frequent interchange of equipment will permit wiring portions of the permanent premises wiring with flexible cord. I think you understand the concept, having pointed to the pendant boxes. Still nothing wrong with a bunch of wall outlets. And with all that said, using extension cords is not illegal... :happyno:
You know, there is this whole class of "Weather Resistant" (WR) receptacles that are over on the residential side. . . . I'd suggest using WR devices hard wired and scattered judiciously about the inside walls of the Test Space, and place the GFCI and surge protection OUTSIDE of the test space.

Since it sounds like part of the testing is humidity and temperature stressing, plan on new outlet strips (plain old) with each new test run. That way you eliminate having to verify the condition of reused outlet strips each set of equipment that is tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.