Commander 3 phase Bolt on Breaker same as Sylvania QBH Breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

I found an used three pole 40amp Commander Bolt on Breaker that is almost 1/3 the price of an used Cutler QBH Breaker... good deal, or are Commander Breakers garbage? I was told Commander, Sylvania, CEB are all the ame just owned by different companies. Thank you again!

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I found an used three pole 40amp Commander Bolt on Breaker that is almost 1/3 the price of an used Cutler QBH Breaker... good deal, or are Commander Breakers garbage? I was told Commander, Sylvania, CEB are all the ame just owned by different companies. Thank you again!

Used breakers are just that, used. Then add that it isn't even the same brand, I don't know if a taillight warranty would be short enough.

Think again about putting a properly fused or CB disconnect at the unit.

powerplay

Used breakers are just that, used. Then add that it isn't even the same brand, I don't know if a taillight warranty would be short enough.

Think again about putting a properly fused or CB disconnect at the unit.

I was told the same breakers were made by the companies that bought it out... so Sylvania, CEB, Commander are the same Breaker, just under a different company name...

templdl

Has the OP considered reading the name plate on the panel as to what breakers are allowed to be installed in the panel with out violating iyts UL listing?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I don't think I have ever run across Commander breakers. This link might help.
http://www.eatonenewsletterbuilder.com/uploads/20120413015206VintageLoadcentreSalesAid.pdf

Question. CH lists the current style breakers on the right that will replace those to the left. Does that mean the breakers on the left are interchangeable with each other, or that I can use one of the older style breakers in place of the newer CH in a new CH panel?

I think I spit that out correctly.

IMO, No & No but I have little to back it up.

templdl

Question. CH lists the current style breakers on the right that will replace those to the left. Does that mean the breakers on the left are interchangeable with each other, or that I can use one of the older style breakers in place of the newer CH in a new CH panel?

I think I spit that out correctly.

IMO, No & No but I have little to back it up.

You appear to be asking a leading question, installing an old style product in a new panel. Is the old style breaker used or new old stock. If used I doubt very much if it has gone through factory calibration tests to assure that it meets the OEM mfg specs. If not I would not consider it. Otherwise, have you talked to an Eaton applications engineer and posed that question? It is not that unusual to avoid doing so because of the risk of getting an answer that is not favorable.
If you are allowed to do so I would recommend that you include a copy of such documentation is the panel such that the AHJ can see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.