Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outdoor and wet location questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Outdoor and wet location questions

Hello all,

Have a rural commercial greenhouse network wiring project for a friend I'm trying to come up with a design and estimate for, most of it outdoor and wet location for IP cameras, and I have no experience with outdoor/wet. My past experience is all with office buildings, IT rooms, etc, and I'm having difficulty understanding the code requirements on this kind of project. The customer is trying to go as cheap as possible too of course, and has a little networking knowledge so keeps 'suggesting' ways to do things that I'm not sure meet NEC 2014 code.

Greenhouse is 50' from main building, dirt floor and steel beam frame, with heavy duty chain link fence surrounding it. All wire will be outdoor/wet/direct-burial/uvr rated. Most of my questions are conduit related:

1. Where the conduit comes up into the greenhouse, do I need a watertight jbox with fittings/cablegrips there? Since everything's a 'wet location' and wet-rated can I just bring the conduit like 6" above grade and distribute the wiring from the open conduit?

2. Similar question for the fence-line which will have a couple cameras mounted to it some distance from the greenhouse. My original plan was to go direct-burial with conduit running up to each cam, but the customer just wants me to run a short section of conduit straight out to the fence and then just tie the wire to the bottom of the chain link out to each location and up to the camera. It's a heavy-duty custom fence set in concrete but still not sure it would be considered a 'permanent structure'? If something like that is possible would a jbox/fittings be required where the conduit comes up at the fence, or could I just use a gooseneck (as long as I'm still under 360* of turns)?

Any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated. At this point I regret even agreeing to do the estimate, but he really needs a 'friend rate' on this job and I'm doing my best to see what I can do.

Thanks all,

Some of my confusion stems from 300.15 and 300.16. 300.15(C) states "A box or conduit body shall not be required where cables enter or exit from conduit or tubing that is used to provide cable support or protection against physical damage. A fitting shall be provided on the end(s) of the conduit or tubing to protect the cable from abrasion."

But then 300.16(A) states "A box, conduit body, or terminal fitting having a separately bushed hole for each conductor shall be used whenever a change is made from conduit, electrical metallic tubing, electrical nonmetallic tubing, nonmetallic-sheathed cable, Type AC cable, Type MC cable, or mineral-insulated, metal-sheathed cable and surface raceway wiring to open wiring or to concealed knob-and-tube wiring..."

Are these conflicting or am I misunderstanding something?

725.3(J) "A bushing shall be installed where cables emerge from raceway used for mechanical support or protection in accordance with 300.15(C)"
    Last edited by Myoclonic; 04-18-17 at 12:56 PM.

First off, you are not understanding the NEC and how it is set up. It has really nothing to say about outdoor LV wiring such as what you want to do. So do what you want.

-Hal

Thank you for the reply sir!

Haha, I suspected I was waaay over thinking this. First job in this state/locality and I was told I had to adhere to NEC 2014 so I've been struggling to figure out what parts of the code actually apply to ethernet/lv.

I will have to pull a permit and have inspections of both conduit and finished wiring. Are they just going to look at things like my fire-rated pass through, listed materials/equipment, proper cable support, etc?

Thanks again for your insight,

Myo

Quote Originally Posted by Myoclonic View Post
    Some of my confusion stems from 300.15 and 300.16. 300.15(C) states "A box or conduit body shall not be required where cables enter or exit from conduit or tubing that is used to provide cable support or protection against physical damage. A fitting shall be provided on the end(s) of the conduit or tubing to protect the cable from abrasion."

But then 300.16(A) states "A box, conduit body, or terminal fitting having a separately bushed hole for each conductor shall be used whenever a change is made from conduit, electrical metallic tubing, electrical nonmetallic tubing, nonmetallic-sheathed cable, Type AC cable, Type MC cable, or mineral-insulated, metal-sheathed cable and surface raceway wiring to open wiring or to concealed knob-and-tube wiring..."

Are these conflicting or am I misunderstanding something?

725.3(J) "A bushing shall be installed where cables emerge from raceway used for mechanical support or protection in accordance with 300.15(C)"
    Notice that they use the word "cables", not "conductors". They are talking about a situation where you might run your ethernet cable on J-hooks but you want the additional protection and so run it inside some EMT, or GRC if you have money and labor to burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Myoclonic
    I will have to pull a permit and have inspections of both conduit and finished wiring. Are they just going to look at things like my fire-rated pass through, listed materials/equipment, proper cable support, etc?
    Pull a permit and have an inspection for what? As was said, none of this falls under the NEC.

What fire rated pass through?

-Hal

[QUOTE=hbiss;1825334]Pull a permit and have an inspection for what? As was said, none of this falls under the NEC.

Some Articles in Chapter 8 of the NEC may apply to his installation.

Quote Originally Posted by packersparky View Post
    Some Articles in Chapter 8 of the NEC may apply to his installation.
    ...and perhaps Article 725, which is for low voltage. Chapter 8 is for communications.
    I will have achieved my life's goal if I die with a smile on my face.

Spoke with the local building dept and they stated all commercial network cabling requires a permit and inspections, and that I need a low-voltage contractors license (which I've already looked into and isn't hard to get, I meet the qualifications).

The main building is pre-existing and where their network equipment is located, so will need to pass through an exterior wall to underground conduit running out to the greenhouse. That's the plan at least, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by hbiss View Post
    Pull a permit and have an inspection for what? As was said, none of this falls under the NEC.

-Hal
    I does fall under the NEC. Specifically article 100,200, and 300 modified by 700 and 800.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!