Connecting 2 grounding rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

dms292

I have a building that is grounded with a ring around the building.
I am placing a large area of equipment across a concrete parking lot type area. That equipment will have a ground ring around it as well. My interpretation of the code is that these rings must be connected together (bonded?). I believe this conductor would be considered a Grounding Electrode Conductor. The client is against cutting the parking lot to install an underground bare conductor for this purpose. They are suggesting running along the overhead pipe bridge to go from the building to the equipment area's ring.
My questions are:
Is my interpenetration of the code correct, and these 2 rings must be connected together?
If so, can this conductor be run overhead, stubbing up from one ring, going overhead t the other ring, and then stubbing down to that ring?

Thanks,
Dave

Smart $

Esteemed Member
There is no requirement to directly connect the two rings together. The requirement to connect premises electrodes together only applies to those at an individual building or structure.

That said, if power from the building supplies the equipment area across the "lot", they will be connected together through the equipment grounding conductor run with the feeder.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I have a building that is grounded with a ring around the building.
I am placing a large area of equipment across a concrete parking lot type area. That equipment will have a ground ring around it as well. My interpretation of the code is that these rings must be connected together (bonded?). I believe this conductor would be considered a Grounding Electrode Conductor. The client is against cutting the parking lot to install an underground bare conductor for this purpose. They are suggesting running along the overhead pipe bridge to go from the building to the equipment area's ring.
My questions are:
Is my interpenetration of the code correct, and these 2 rings must be connected together?
If so, can this conductor be run overhead, stubbing up from one ring, going overhead t the other ring, and then stubbing down to that ring?

Thanks,
Dave
An EGC is required to be run with the other circuit conductors. Therefore, it would appear that what you are proposing cannot be an EGC.

A GEC is connected from the grounded conductor to a GES (or un the case of a feed to a secondary structure from its EGC to its GES). Therefore it appears it is not a GEC.

I think it would be some kind of bonding jumper, but not not one required by the code.

There is no requirement to directly connect the two rings together. The requirement to connect premises electrodes together only applies to those at an individual building or structure.

That said, if power from the building supplies the equipment area across the "lot", they will be connected together through the equipment grounding conductor run with the feeder.

I am inclined to agree with this analysis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.