Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Line side taps and disconnect

Our premises system needs 50 amps to operate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The hardest faults to clear are mine

I had the question as how to treat a PV disconnect that is tapped on the line side of a service disconnect and about 2 years ago, I brought this question to the Division of Consumer Affairs which is the regulatory body in charge of these issues in NJ. They went to the NEC for an opinion and was told that while this is allowed under 230.82 the devices listed in 230.82 are not service equipment and as such should have an EGC and a seperate neutral if needed. The neutral and EGC should not bond together once the leave the point of origin. This was all under the 2014 NEC.
    Last edited by RICK NAPIER; 04-20-17 at 08:47 AM.
    Rick Napier
    Inspector and Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by shortcircuit2 View Post
    Sorry for yelling...just frustrated this is still an issue. It has been a problem in my world for multiple Code cycles now.
    It has been an issue in mine as well, but it's not that big of a deal; I just do it the way the governing AHJ wants it. Some want it one way, others want it the other. It would be great if everyone did it the same way but under the present code (and also in the 2017 NEC as far as I know), either way is compliant and it's not difficult to comply with the AHJs' requirements either way.

A bigger deal for us is that one AHJ we deal with requires that a line side interconnection be made in a separate tap box while all the others allow a connection via Insulation Piercing Connectors (IPCs) in the service panel. That's something we are trying to get changed.

Quote Originally Posted by electricalist View Post
    For what it's worth I appreciate everyone's input.
    No disrespect towards anyone when I say interpretations + theory+preference can make these type of installs sometimes not worth getting involved in.

We put taps in the first panel. L1 L2 line side of the breaker. Neutral landed on neutral bar. Ground landed on same bar , feeding a 60 amp service rated disconnect with 50 amp fuses. Neutral and ground bonded in the disconnect feeding the PV equipment.

Will the pass? I'll know today or tomorrow when the 5 installs are inspected.
    I'll will post the outcome when I find out. Unfortunately it won't change much about about the disagreements here but maybe it'll help others see how these set ups are viewed in different areas.
    Thanks

If it were my system to design I would have cleared this with the AHJ in a precon meeting before building it. It is far easier to design a system to the necessary specs than it is to fix it or fight about it after it is built. Good luck with your inspection.

For what it's worth I appreciate everyone's input.
    No disrespect towards anyone when I say interpretations + theory+preference can make these type of installs sometimes not worth getting involved in.

We put taps in the first panel. L1 L2 line side of the breaker. Neutral landed on neutral bar. Ground landed on same bar , feeding a 60 amp service rated disconnect with 50 amp fuses. Neutral and ground bonded in the disconnect feeding the PV equipment.

Will the pass? I'll know today or tomorrow when the 5 installs are inspected.
    I'll will post the outcome when I find out. Unfortunately it won't change much about about the disagreements here but maybe it'll help others see how these set ups are viewed in different areas.
    Thanks
    Sounds good to me. In my opinion, better to put in the green screw and then be able to take it out if the inspector asks than to lose track of it and then have the inspector ask you to put it in.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    Sounds good to me. In my opinion, better to put in the green screw and then be able to take it out if the inspector asks than to lose track of it and then have the inspector ask you to put it in.
    I did.

They passed.

They passed.

Beer time!