Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HV Cable Testing

HV Cable Testing

I have a question about the insulation testing of the oversheath of single core 138 kV cables. The oversheath has other metal layers below it, and the oversheath is really not an insulation as it has a conductive layer which is extruded in it. What do we exactly test when we test the insulation of the oversheath? Thanks for help!

you are testing impedance from phase to ground (the shielding) in the typical test
    the center conductor is insulated from the ground/shield (obviously)

Actually this test is not for the conductor and insulation. This test is only for the outermost layer (oversheath) and the layer directly below it (armor). The oversheath has an extruded semi-conductive compound in it which acts as conductive layer and is connected to the ground terminal of tester. The armor is connected to the other terminal of tester. I am trying to figure out that why they perform insulation resistance test between these two layers, whereas both of these layers are conductive and they directly touch each other. What do you think? Thanks

This is a standard test for buried cables to check the outer serving hasn’t been damaged when the trench has been backfilled. Any damage will allow water ingress and result in a possible failure at some time in the future.

I’ve always used 500V DC (Megger) between the armour and a reliable earth point.
    MIET ARPS

I’m English so what do I know?

Damage can also occur when the cable is pulled through conduit and pullboxes. Many times what most think is insulation is actually a semi-conductive material.

Thanks. The test is between two surfaces (oversheath and armor). How should these two surfaces be discharged after the completion of the test; should the charge on the two surfaces be allowed (for few minutes) to drain off through the leakage of the tester, or should the two surfaces be connected together so that they get discharged?

Quote Originally Posted by timm333 View Post
    Thanks. The test is between two surfaces (oversheath and armor). How should these two surfaces be discharged after the completion of the test; should the charge on the two surfaces be allowed (for few minutes) to drain off through the leakage of the tester, or should the two surfaces be connected together so that they get discharged?
    I think its typical to wait 15mins for bleed off then, test for absence of voltage with gloves on.

A Megger should be left connected to cable once the test is completed, the meter will discharge the cable.
    MIET ARPS

I’m English so what do I know?

What should be the earth resistance between the armor and the earth point, should it be 5 ohms or less?

Quote Originally Posted by timm333 View Post
    What should be the earth resistance between the armor and the earth point, should it be 5 ohms or less?

This may help
    lower mv range but sheath is tested in the 1-5 kv range
    pass 10-100 M Ohm min

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electri...e-testing/amp/

A sheath integrity test (e.g. 1000 V minimum insulation resistance tester) applied between theouter-most metallic layer and earth can identify after-installation damage to the non-metallic outersheath.
    The measured value should be read after application of the voltage for 1 minute. Ideally themeasured value should be corrected for temperature to a standard value at 20°C if correctionfactors are available. A rough guide is that the insulation resistance decreases to one half of thevalue for a 10°C rise in temperature. The cable temperature should be recorded along with themeasured values.

Measured values of Insulation Resistance for the sheath should be greater than calculatedvalues. Calculated values for new cable range from 1.5 M/km to 4.0 M/km @ 20°C for PVCsheaths and from 120 M/km to 300 M/km @ 20°C for PE sheaths. Values are highest forsmall cables & thick sheaths and lowest for large cables & thin sheaths. (Factory tests show thatmeasured values are up to an order of magnitude greater than the calculated values.)

Earth the screens after an Insulation Resistance Test on a sheath for at least 5 minutes beforehandling or performing other tests
    Last edited by Ingenieur; 04-22-17 at 03:27 PM.