Can E.G.C be ran separate of parallel M.C conductors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time posting,I'd like to say hello to everyone and thank you in advance for replying. I have a job that was red tagged for using two 250'-350 AL MCM XHHW-2 M.C cables with a #2 AL E.G.C in parallel to provide power to a crane (400a 480v 3ph 3w). We have used the cable on many prior sites but this particular inspector is stating that as per 250.122 I must have a #1 AL E.G.C. He is correct (no this now, never been cited for this before) and now I'm left with trying to rectify the issue at the lowest cost. My question would it be permissible to run a third M.C Cable of the same size and utilize 2 of the 350 mcm AL as the E.G.C for the current carrying conductors that we ran in parallel? Is there a code reference that would not allow this? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
First time posting,I'd like to say hello to everyone and thank you in advance for replying. I have a job that was red tagged for using two 250'-350 AL MCM XHHW-2 M.C cables with a #2 AL E.G.C in parallel to provide power to a crane (400a 480v 3ph 3w). We have used the cable on many prior sites but this particular inspector is stating that as per 250.122 I must have a #1 AL E.G.C. He is correct (no this now, never been cited for this before) and now I'm left with trying to rectify the issue at the lowest cost. My question would it be permissible to run a third M.C Cable of the same size and utilize 2 of the 350 mcm AL as the E.G.C for the current carrying conductors that we ran in parallel? Is there a code reference that would not allow this? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I think you will find that the code requires the EGC be contained within the cable that contains the circuit conductors. I think you are going to have to find some other solution.

300.3 Conductors.
(B) Conductors of the Same Circuit. All conductors of
the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor
and all equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors
shall be contained within the same raceway, auxiliary
gutter, cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench, cable, or
cord, unless otherwise permitted in accordance with
300.3(B)(1) through (B)(4).
(1) Paralleled Installations. Conductors shall be permitted
to be run in parallel in accordance with the provisions
of 310.10(H). The requirement to run all circuit conductors
within the same raceway, auxiliary gutter, cable tray, trench,
cable, or cord shall apply separately to each portion of the
paralleled installation, and the equipment grounding conductors
shall comply with the provisions of 250.122. Parallel runs
in cable tray shall comply with the provisions of 392.20(C).

Last edited:
I think you will find that the code requires the EGC be contained within the cable that contains the circuit conductors. I think you are going to have to find some other solution.

Thank you Bob, my company has a lot of M.C cable; we have some 250-250-250-250-2 Al XHHW-2 M.C. Im thinking I using this and utilizing the "extra" 250 as the E.G.C and capping off the #2. That should be allowed correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.