Do LBs count as pull boxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunuelbresson

When considering the number of bends allowed by the code between pull boxes, is an LB between two pull boxes considered as a 90degree bend. Or is it considered as a pull box.

What I mean is, should we start counting bends from an LB to a pull box or only from pull box to pull box?

iwire

Staff member
What I mean is, should we start counting bends from an LB to a pull box or only from pull box to pull box?

358.26 Bends ? Number in One Run. There shall not be
more than the equivalent of four quarter bends (360 degrees
total) between pull points, for example, conduit bodies and
boxes.

I doubt you would see many LBs used if they did not count as pull points.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Absolutely.. The idea of the 360? of bends is to keep the tension from pulling off the wiring. The LB accomplishes this just as a jb would.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As Bob stated LB's do count as pull points but that could be contingent upon what size conductors you're using. An LB would need the same 6X dimension needed for an angle pull when using a pull box with conductors #4 and larger. Standard conduit bodies do not typically meet the 6X dimension.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
As Bob stated LB's do count as pull points but that could be contingent upon what size conductors you're using. An LB would need the same 6X dimension needed for an angle pull when using a pull box with conductors #4 and larger. Standard conduit bodies do not typically meet the 6X dimension.
And you need to be very careful about the direction of the pull, as pulling from the opening of the LB into the back outlet is a lot easier than trying to feed a bent conductor out the long end.

iwire

Staff member
LB's do count as pull points but that could be contingent upon what size conductors you're using.

They are pull points regardless of conductor sizes.

An LB would need the same 6X dimension needed for an angle pull when using a pull box with conductors #4 and larger. Standard conduit bodies do not typically meet the 6X dimension.

The size of the LB vs conductor size is (IMO) a different issue entirely than if it is a pull point or not.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They are pull points regardless of conductor sizes.

The size of the LB vs conductor size is (IMO) a different issue entirely than if it is a pull point or not.

As I said prior, if the conduit body does not meet the 6X or 8X dimension required also for boxes it does not count as relief when exceeding the 360? requirement. Also with larger conductors often LB's are less than 6X and cannot be used at all because the conductors size marked on the inside is much smaller than the conductor sizes used with the raceway connected to it.

FREEBALL

I have used troughs in the past which tend to be less expensive depending on application, but I do feel the pain when it comes to buying LB's for say a service. I recently installed a 400 amp 1 phase (320a). The 3inch NEC mogul was 215.00 however I was able to find an Appleton LB that was stamped max. 3- 400mcm xhhw for 85.00 plus gasket. So I pulled 400 xhhw copper for the lower end of the meter. Large pull boxes do come in handy though when for instance you need to change height of a couple of inches on a large conduit size, and the box is needed anyway for satisfying 360 degree requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.