Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grid tied backup generator

Cogen (cogeneration) applications are setup the way you are asking.

If they are grid tied, then it is only recent that they can run in islanded mode (without a utility reference). It is often easier to get utility company agreement if it were considered renewable an energy systems rather than just a generator.

https://energy.gov/energysaver/grid-connected-renewable-energy-systems
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Chamuit View Post
    Yeppers. One that would provide power during an outage or be able to push power back on to the grid when requested.
    I don't know why a utility would want that; unless the generator is huge it wouldn't make a significant difference to the grid. Synchronization would be a prime consideration, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ggunn View Post
    I don't know why a utility would want that; unless the generator is huge it wouldn't make a significant difference to the grid. Synchronization would be a prime consideration, of course.
    In Great Britain, the switch over to renewables is causing a lot of heartburn for the grid operator. They have recruited a lot of industrial customers with their own generators (upwards of 1 MW IIRC) to feed the grid when the wind don't blow and the sun don't shine. And they get a premium; $1,000's of dollars per MW-hr.

The idea here is to be able to sell back to the grid during peak demand times, when that ability becomes an option.

A single home selling back at erratic times won't be of use to any one. But, if the grid operator knows in 5-15 minutes he is going to need X MW's of peak production for 2 minutes and they can turn on all the gensets in a particular area aggregate their poroduction and accomodate that short peak demand.

The cost of gas v. the cost of electricity is not of concern at this job at this point in time.

The only setups I have ever seen are homes with a typical ATS and Data Centers with UPS support in place for the transition. Nothing synchronized with the grid.

The idea here is to be able to sell back to the grid during peak demand times, when that ability becomes an option.

A single home selling back at erratic times won't be of use to any one. But, if the grid operator knows in 5-15 minutes he is going to need X MW's of peak production for 2 minutes and they can turn on all the gensets in a particular area aggregate their poroduction and accomodate that short peak demand.

The cost of gas v. the cost of electricity is not of concern at this job at this point in time.

The only setups I have ever seen are homes with a typical ATS and Data Centers with UPS support in place for the transition. Nothing synchronized with the grid.
    What is your customers capacity?

You'll have to check your state regulations. To my knowledge most of them don't allow net metering for non-renewable sources.

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    You'll have to check your state regulations. To my knowledge most of them don't allow net metering for non-renewable sources.
    This little experiement would be... sanctioned.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    What is your customers capacity?
    He has an 11kW generator, 1P 120/240V.

How is it synched with the grid?

At that size, I seriously doubt any BPU will entertain a grid tie to push power into the grid, not the least because I doubt your standard 11 KW Generac comes with any provision for syncing with the grid, and such an option if available would likely be many times the cost of the generator itself. Also, I'm sure the manufacturer would walk/run away from having anything to do with this lash-up.

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    At that size, I seriously doubt any BPU will entertain a grid tie to push power into the grid, not the least because I doubt your standard 11 KW Generac comes with any provision for syncing with the grid, and such an option if available would likely be many times the cost of the generator itself. Also, I'm sure the manufacturer would walk/run away from having anything to do with this lash-up.
    Rectify the generator output to DC and feed a grid tie inverter? Not sure how to handle the MPPT input though.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk