Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grid tied backup generator

Grid tied backup generator

Has any one installed a backup generator that was grid tied? I have a client asking about this but I have never seen or heard of one.

Thanks!

Not. I have not

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chamuit View Post
    Has any one installed a backup generator that was grid tied? I have a client asking about this but I have never seen or heard of one.

Thanks!
    When you say "grid tied", do you mean that the power authority may, from time to time, ask your customer to push power into the public grid?

Or just that it provides distributed generation power to the local loads in parallel with the grid connection?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    When you say "grid tied", do you mean that the power authority may, from time to time, ask your customer to push power into the public grid?
    Yeppers. One that would provide power during an outage or be able to push power back on to the grid when requested.

I would bet the cost of fuel used would exceed the cost returned for the electricity! Not to mention, I'd bet the poco would have some nasty things to say about this arrangement as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamuit View Post

Thanks!
    Are you sure the client isn't just saying grid tied in leu of actually saying automatic transfer from utility power?

A solar system with a battery backup inverter could fit the bill. I can't think of anything else that is likely to be feasible unless it is a very large facility.

Every utility has very specific requirements for generation operated in parallel on their system. You would have to be a generator is significant size to make meeting their requirements financially feasible.

A dump nearby that is closed and capped has 8 generators running 24/7 producing power on the methane. They feed into the grid in parallel.