Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CRI for incandescent vs. LED bulbs

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    So I wonder if they actually like it better, or just think they like it better
    When FM radio was first introduced people disliked the "unnatural" sound of high fidelity audio compared to the familiar AM radio sound.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    So I wonder if they actually like it better, or just think they like it better
    Name:  leeatwater1.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  17.2 KB[
    The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by dkidd View Post
    I think you mean more lumens per watt.
    that too... thanks.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    When FM radio was first introduced people disliked the "unnatural" sound of high fidelity audio compared to the familiar AM radio sound.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    I Get weirded out watching a movie on newer TV's. This is an effect a certain percentage of the population gets. Not sure if its the high resolution or frame rate, but it looks like a soap opera or 80's BBC TV and I cant help but think "low budget"
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Quote Originally Posted by jeff48356 View Post
    I'm a bit confused about the Color Rendering Index for incandescent bulbs vs. LED ones. Incandescent bulbs claim to have a CRI of 100 (the highest possible), whereas a 5000K (daylilght) LED bulb claims to have a CRI in the upper 80's. However, under 5000K LED light in my bedroom or closet, I can see the colors of my clothing perfectly. Under incandescent lighting, I have trouble telling navy from black (pants, socks, etc). Before I installed 5000K LED's, I have mistaken black for navy several times.

I might be one of the unusual ones, but I much prefer 5000K over 2700K. I know a lot of people, especially women, who cannot stand 5000K; they MUST have 2700K.
    The fact that an incandescent has a CRI of 100 does not mean it is better at rendering color; it just happens to be THE standard that we compare other sources to. It scores better on the test because it is the test. Also, a source with more blues in it (ie a 5,000K LED) will be better at rendering the blues in your socks. Further, you may be getting more lumens from the LED than you are from the incandescent. Therefore it was easier to see the socks.

I prefer incandescent myself.

I prefer oil lamps - fueled with whale oil, whichever one is most endangered.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"