Thread: EMT Conduit in Extg. Gyp partition

EMT Conduit in Extg. Gyp partition

No real way to get a stick of emt down existing wall for a receptacle correct? Wall must either be opened or you have to use cable, correct?

Depends on the building construction. I have "fished" EMT in walls at some malls where the structural ceiling was >10 ft over the store suspended ceiling/walls.(See Exception 2 to Art 358.30)
    At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by augie47 View Post
    Depends on the building construction. I have "fished" EMT in walls at some malls where the structural ceiling was >10 ft over the store suspended ceiling/walls.(See Exception 2 to Art 358.30)

Right ceiling height makes difference.

With enough will, space, and experience EMT can be run or fished many times.
    Even in an attic with limited height cut sections could be fished down the wall.

Is it normally done, no.
    Time is money, probably would take more time.
    The EMT may be working against you to get the box to sit well from the weight of the conduit or if not exactly straight in the finished wall.
    If using only cut-in type boxes with mounting ears it could be a bit more prone to wall damage with use.
    Depends on the use, such as is it a switch or a vacuum receptacle.
    You don't always know what's in the wall. Flex or cable may be able to get around obstructions such as other electrical crossing the stud space cross braces / brackets.
    May need to drill a larger hole, especially if you need to use couplings.

It would normally be EMT to flex conduit with or without a J-box.
    Or cable such as MC run the entire way or switched over to EMT in a J-box.

It really would depend on the job needs.
    Such as size of conduit, wire size, service access to j-box, existing wiring methods if using some existing raceway, length of run, number of bends, future use, EMT requirements by plans, building owner, or local code.
    Job conditions such as how far down the wall, how hard is it to access it from the top of wall, working space, helper, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    No real way to get a stick of emt down existing wall for a receptacle correct? Wall must either be opened or you have to use cable, correct?
    can you get to the wall from below?
    Bob

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    I fished about eighty feet of emt horizontally through an old warehouse one time. Was quite a test of skills. Later that month the building sold and was torn down.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    I fished about eighty feet of emt horizontally through an old warehouse one time. Was quite a test of skills. Later that month the building sold and was torn down.
    I did some oilfield equipment once. It got hit by lightning. It took a few frantic days to patch it back together so they could get back into production.

A few weeks later I heard that the company had abandoned the project, taking all the equipment and pushing it into a gully and covering it with dirt.
    Bob

If the requirement is for EMT, normally the wall would be opened. Fishing EMT is like herding cats: possible but a pita. I would use NM, MC, or ENT if opening the wall is not possible.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!