Adding control station to material lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougR

This is my first post to this site - please bear with me if I screw up. I have a winch style material lift which has a handheld control switch for up/down control. I wish to add more extensive control to this unit, namely additional control stations. This unit is single phase and I am reasonably confident it is common cap start. I believe I can just parallel another control into the existing control's termination point. No past experience with this. Guidance would be most helpful. The control is currently a momentary switch for up/down but I will want to change it to maintained contact with limit switch control at each station. HELP!!!!!!!
regards, DougR

templdl

This is my first post to this site - please bear with me if I screw up. I have a winch style material lift which has a handheld control switch for up/down control. I wish to add more extensive control to this unit, namely additional control stations. This unit is single phase and I am reasonably confident it is common cap start. I believe I can just parallel another control into the existing control's termination point. No past experience with this. Guidance would be most helpful. The control is currently a momentary switch for up/down but I will want to change it to maintained contact with limit switch control at each station. HELP!!!!!!!
regards, DougR
This is a " wild guess" being that your description is very vasgue at best and includes no wiring diagram of the control scheme that you are referring to.
The run control buttons are commonly connected in parallel for multiple control pushbuttons and the stop PBs in series. But without a wiring diagram this is only a guess.

iwire

Staff member
The control is currently a momentary switch for up/down but I will want to change it to maintained contact with limit switch control at each station.

Boy, this part sure has the potential for personal injury or property damage if not done correctly.

Not much we can do to help unless you can post the machines wiring diagram.

DougR

This is a " wild guess" being that your description is very vasgue at best and includes no wiring diagram of the control scheme that you are referring to.
The run control buttons are commonly connected in parallel for multiple control pushbuttons and the stop PBs in series. But without a wiring diagram this is only a guess.

Thanks for all your replies. Being my first post, I was not sure of the procedure. Here are two hand drawn pics of motor jb and control wand. I want to add call buttons at top and bottom with travel limit switches. I understand control speak so fire away with suggestions

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 0

templdl

Thanks for all your replies. Being my first post, I was not sure of the procedure. Here are two hand drawn pics of motor jb and control wand. I want to add call buttons at top and bottom with travel limit switches. I understand control speak so fire away with suggestions

I'd love to help you out but I'm not familiar with the schematic symbols that you have included in your diagrams. What I was looking for was a complete control wiring diagram on on sheet of paper using industry standard symbols.
If this is an existing system including the control scheme for it would be an excellent place to start.

DougR

I'd love to help you out but I'm not familiar with the schematic symbols that you have included in your diagrams. What I was looking for was a complete control wiring diagram on on sheet of paper using industry standard symbols.
If this is an existing system including the control scheme for it would be an excellent place to start.
Thanks for your response. I wish I could show you more but what you see is what I have to work with. The sheet provided shows the terminal board wiring of the existing system. Terminals 1 & 3 are power in. U/Z terminals are the motor winding ends. Terminals 9,10,11 & 12 are from the DPDT center open rocker switch used for up/down control. Terminals 11&5 are self explanatory. A look at the other diagram shows how the DPDT switch is wired for reversing the motor. I'm not sure what else I can provide you. Apparently I have been retired from the trade long enough that symbology has changed but one thing I am sure of is relay and control logic has not. Thanks for your help
Doug. P.S. This is a Mexican company - Weston Tool Company

templdl

Thanks for your response. I wish I could show you more but what you see is what I have to work with. The sheet provided shows the terminal board wiring of the existing system. Terminals 1 & 3 are power in. U/Z terminals are the motor winding ends. Terminals 9,10,11 & 12 are from the DPDT center open rocker switch used for up/down control. Terminals 11&5 are self explanatory. A look at the other diagram shows how the DPDT switch is wired for reversing the motor. I'm not sure what else I can provide you. Apparently I have been retired from the trade long enough that symbology has changed but one thing I am sure of is relay and control logic has not. Thanks for your help
Doug. P.S. This is a Mexican company - Weston Tool Company
If we tackle this what would your exposure be regarding liability for safety? Would you be liable should an accident occur because of a control issue when altering the OEM wiring scheme?
When one attempts to interpreted this scheme it may be misunderstood because of the assumptions that are being made and would rather not attempt to interprete what the diagram is trying to illustrate.

kwired

Electron manager
regards, DougR
Changing to maintained contact switches is probably not a good idea. If you leave the "up" switch engaged on the first level, you would need to go to the first level and undo that action before you can lower the lift from the second level.

I do suggest you have interlocks incorporated somehow (and there is likely more then one way to do it) so that you can not accidently tell the winch to run both directions at same time. You may find it is easiest to use control relays/contactors instead of direct acting operation from the control switch(es).

DougR

Changing to maintained contact switches is probably not a good idea. If you leave the "up" switch engaged on the first level, you would need to go to the first level and undo that action before you can lower the lift from the second level.

I do suggest you have interlocks incorporated somehow (and there is likely more then one way to do it) so that you can not accidently tell the winch to run both directions at same time. You may find it is easiest to use control relays/contactors instead of direct acting operation from the control switch(es).

This lift is mounted in my home, for my personal use only. Out of the limited number of replys I have received, not a one has addressed the question. Thanks for the help, I'll get by on my own.
regards,
Doug Reno

kwired

Electron manager
This lift is mounted in my home, for my personal use only. Out of the limited number of replys I have received, not a one has addressed the question. Thanks for the help, I'll get by on my own.
regards,
Doug Reno

Not sure just how to take that, seems kind of sarcastic though, just what do you expect from a free public forum? Number of replies doesn't mean much yet as this topic has only been open a few days, give it some more time and it could have hundreds of replies - just depends on reader interest, not everything takes off on a wild tangent. If you want instant results maybe you should pay someone for them.

The fact you now mention it is in your home for your own personal use does turn it into a DIY project and maybe goes against forum rules anyway.

templdl

regards,
Doug Reno
I've been in this business since 1982 and get very concerned when I'm being asked to hand someone a loaded gun. I'd rather you be mad about not receiving an answer that you wanted to hear than my contributing to an accident or loss of life.
If you haven't the ability to provide a customary wiring diagram that is clear and understandable to the professional I must conclude that you are not familiar with safe electrical practices and procedures as the information that you have provided is not specific enough and is subject to interpretation.
Best of luck as I'm not interesed in contributing to an accident.

iwire

Staff member
If you haven't the ability to provide a customary wiring diagram that is clear and understandable to the professional I must conclude that you are not familiar with safe electrical practices and procedures as the information that you have provided is not specific enough and is subject to interpretation.

Well put, it may sound harsh but in my opinion very accurate.

With that said I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.