MV "snap clips" support on grid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello there
I've got a question about using the caddie snap clips they are great product for using on beams and such but I was on a job the other day and some one said just snap them on the grid. So basically I was wondering is this acceptable for the NEC? I'm not talking about support wires I'm talking the actual grid cealing .

Also on another note my boss has come up with this saying about attaching to the grid support wires as long as the cable stays in that room I don't think this is correct but some advice would be great thank u for ur time and ur help

E16

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Do you have a part number so we can look at what you are calling a snap clip?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
In general, electrical equipment requires support independent of a suspended ceiling. Code permits suspended ceilings to support electrical where rated for such... but I have yet to see any that is so rated. (It's been years since I worked on such, so don't consider that an all-encompassing, blanket statement.)

That said, even with independent support using wires, after the fact can often appear as though no independent support wires were used... because such are not permitted to just sway as the wind blows... they need to be secured at both top and bottom... and guess what the bottom gets secured to???

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Some electricians like to use different colored support wires just to make it obvious to an inspector that they are separate. And maybe to discourage other trades from using them too?

Status
Not open for further replies.