EGC through EMT ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrtom

Even if you ran the pipe that you are pulling, it is much faster to pull the wire before the drywall goes on. When I did apartments or commercial work, I always pulled all of the wire before they drywalled. Also made up the splices tucked the wired before the mud rings went on.

I agree 100% it is way quicker to pull/splice before drywall, but in the city (and most suburbs) you are not allowed to pull wire before drywall goes up (except for can lights). Guess the inspectors do not like the roto-zips that the drywall guys use to cut out the opening after slamming the drywall up. A few years ago, I did see heavy duty plastic plates that would snap into a mudring (before drywall) that would physically protect the wire and I heard inspectors allowed that......but those plates were a bit expensive and you would probably need hundreds of them.

mrtom

:lol:That is a funny story. So to answer the OP's original question did you pull ground wires for residential?

I only pull ground wires in residential inside less-than-6' greenfield whips (under-cabinet lights, sometimes I may give the mason single gang tile boxes with whips attached for exterior openings so he can set boxes in the exterior brick, or dishwasher EMT to change-over to greenfield feeds). One would also have to pull ground wire if there is a PVC line ran outside to a garage and for a hot tub or to a pool. I would never pull ground wire in EMT as it is not needed (unless someone wants it and wants to pay for it too LOL).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I agree 100% it is way quicker to pull/splice before drywall, but in the city (and most suburbs) you are not allowed to pull wire before drywall goes up (except for can lights). Guess the inspectors do not like the roto-zips that the drywall guys use to cut out the opening after slamming the drywall up. A few years ago, I did see heavy duty plastic plates that would snap into a mudring (before drywall) that would physically protect the wire and I heard inspectors allowed that......but those plates were a bit expensive and you would probably need hundreds of them.
I was not aware of that requirement. Is is an actual adopted requirement of just something the inspector wants?

Definitely best to pull before drywall because it's a little harder when a lot of the boxes have 5/8 single gang mudrings. I can see why some areas don't want wires in until drywallers are out but if you coil the wires in the back of boxes they should be safe

kwired

Electron manager
Plates made for this are reusable, they also protect you from coming back to trim only to find all the conductors are now the same color as the finished wall:happyyes:

You generally don't need to have conductors damaged very many times before you learn to tuck them deep into the box or get some kind of protective plates.

Status
Not open for further replies.