Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Detect The Violations - Electrical Panel

Perhaps these close up shots with the video may give you a better visual inspection.

I'm very appreciative folks, how have I not known about this forum sooner? I just kill myself looking for answers at times for items I just can't find or understand by way of some complicated NEC jargon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4999.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	17383Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5001.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	17384Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5002.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	17385Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5004.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	17386

Quote Originally Posted by mwm1752 View Post
    Who are "they"? & which code cycle are they expecting the panel to be compliant with? If "they" are a home inspection service that would explain alot
    Yes, its a home inspection service. It's an abandoned house and I have no access to the report. They stated the issues with the panel needed to be addressed and I'm not seeing it. I'm beginning to doubt my own abilities.

seeing the CU & undersized neutral it appears the feed into the panel is a piping system -- that said/assumed is there a disconnect ahead of this panel on the structure & would this be considered a feeder? All indications otherwise points to this being the service lateral which appears compliant.
    CircuitRyder --- Unfortunately not all good ideas are code enforceable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybatrex View Post
    Yes, its a home inspection service. It's an abandoned house and I have no access to the report. They stated the issues with the panel needed to be addressed and I'm not seeing it. I'm beginning to doubt my own abilities.
    t

They most likely are expecting the most recent code to apply the report should be accessible for proper repairs -- If so AFCI/GFCI is just the start of things they want improved even though there would be no code violations as is -- have they asked you to replace devices?
    CircuitRyder --- Unfortunately not all good ideas are code enforceable.

seeing the CU & undersized neutral it appears the feed into the panel is a piping system -- that said/assumed is there a disconnect ahead of this panel on the structure & would this be considered a feeder? All indications otherwise points to this being the service lateral which appears compliant.
    The only thing I found related to the system is this ripped off disconnect in the back yard which obviosly needs to be redone and this was obvious though.

Name:	IMG_4933.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	17387Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4931.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	17388Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4932.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	17389

Different AHJ's have different allowances on how far service conductors are allowed to enter a building before they must hit the service disconnecting means. If that were a building on a slab and less then 5 feet before hitting the panel - it would be ok here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybatrex View Post
    The only thing I found related to the system is this ripped off disconnect in the back yard which obviosly needs to be redone and this was obvious though.

Name:	IMG_4933.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	17387Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4931.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	147.0 KB 
ID:	17388Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4932.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	17389
    Looks maybe like for an air conditioner/heat pump that is no longer there, may have been taken out because the unit was removed and this would prevent energizing the exposed conductors?

Quote Originally Posted by electrofelon View Post
    Only thing I see is the white conductors used as ungrounded conductors are not identified. I see the green screw so ok to have N and G together (some people like to keep them separate anyway, for appearance).
    Are those two breaker positions being used for whole house surge suppression?

Am I the only one who is seeing a bare #6/#4 ground wire on the bottom lug that doesnt go to squat? It just appears to die at the bottom of the panel.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by JFletcher View Post
    Am I the only one who is seeing a bare #6/#4 ground wire on the bottom lug that doesnt go to squat? It just appears to die at the bottom of the panel.
    Yes, you are.

There is usually a small hole in that area for the GEC. At least there is on the panels I use.
    Tom
    TBLO

Quote Originally Posted by ptonsparky View Post
    Yes, you are.

There is usually a small hole in that area for the GEC. At least there is on the panels I use.
    I saw it once I blew up the photo. I need glasses, or maybe a better monitor.

eta: I retract my "self grounding panel" remark as well. ty for the correction.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!