Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Detect The Violations - Electrical Panel

Quote Originally Posted by gadfly56 View Post
    Are those two breaker positions being used for whole house surge suppression?
    I see that if I had looked at the second set of pictures before I posted I might be less embarrassed.

Main is on in the left position not the right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
    Main is on in the left position not the right

Not a violation under the NEC.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Not a violation under the NEC.
    Hummm, i always thoughts mains had to be left or up in on position?? I got red tagged on this so "ass" umed

Quote Originally Posted by Cletis View Post
    Hummm, i always thoughts mains had to be left or up in on position?? I got red tagged on this so "ass" umed

Up, yes. Left, no.
    If the throw of the main in the picture were vertical, it would not be possible to invert the panel.

What's coming in at the top center of the panel, conduit or two pieces of NM or SE stuffed
    into one clamp? Looking at the two 2 pole breakers on the lower right it looks like one has
    two black wires and the other has two white wires, one remarked with red tape. Did they
    mix conductors from two circuits or is it just the lighting? If they mixed up circuits I don't
    know how that would ever work. If it's conduit did they pull two black wires for one circuit
    and two white wires for a second? It looks more like four black wires, two to the top left
    two pole breaker and two to the lower right two pole breaker.

As electrofelon noted the green bonding screw is in, so all four of the vertical bus bars
    are good for neutral or ground, assuming this is the service. Maybe the HI thought the
    left and right sets of bus bars weren't connected. If that was the case he might think the
    two white wires from the AFCIs needed to be moved to the right set of bus bars. And the
    ground wire on the right set of bus bars moved to the left.

Are the top breakers not Square D brand? Can you put non Square D breakers in a Square D
    panel? I've seen GE, ITE and Bryant all mixed up.

There are a couple of ground wires twisted together, was that ever allowed?

Most important question in my mind is whether that main breaker is the service disconnecting means or not. If yes, not much wrong, just some minor easy things already mentioned. If no, then neutral and grounds have to be separated. It appears to me they are all connected.

Quote Originally Posted by robertd View Post
    I've never heard of it being prohibited, and also I think you are actually looking at a stranded wire.

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Are the top breakers not Square D brand? Can you put non Square D breakers in a Square D
    panel? I've seen GE, ITE and Bryant all mixed up.

That is a QO panel so those are SqD breakers, they may be the non-CTL type which would be an obscure violation and not one I'd expect a home inspector to spot.

Yes you can twist grounds together but normal people don't, Californians do it all the time for some reason.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

...the other has two white wires, one remarked with red tape.
    They appear to be red and black wires which have white paint on them. Follow them up the gutter on the right hand side and you will see the red conductor. Zoom in on the red to white transition area and you can see additional red 'poking' through the white.
    Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.