Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Detect The Violations - Electrical Panel

Detect The Violations - Electrical Panel

Let's see if you detect any violations in this electrical panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Welcome to the forum.

Must be one of those self-grounding panels....

and those are pigtails, not banjo strings.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

NE (9.1 miles @5.07 Degrees from Winged Horses)
    Well, first off it's a QO and with or besides that IDK how the neutral buss is arranged between the Right and Left bars.
    Tom
    TBLO

I didn't find much

I've got to be honest. The home was abandoned and they said that the panel had several violations in it. I've looked this whole thing over and I'm not seeing anything that sticks out at me. I thought maybe a wire guage or the fact that those conductors are not connected to a breaker but that wouldn't be a violation. I'm stumped also.

Only thing I see is the white conductors used as ungrounded conductors are not identified. I see the green screw so ok to have N and G together (some people like to keep them separate anyway, for appearance).
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

oh, and looks like a few unfilled KO's at the bottom.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Neutral main lug (between the two ungrounded main lugs) is attached to a horizontal bar that connects to both sides.

The bottom screw on the "inside" left grounded conductor bar is the bonding screw.

Only things I see that is wrong so far is we need some hole seals in the bottom of the cabinet.

Next question is whether the panel is listed to accept the tandem breakers, or are they non-ctl replacement breakers?

and if you want to nit pick - a couple white conductors that need re-identified as ungrounded conductors.

Hard to tell from the picture. Panel mounted upside-down? Ok to have mini-breakers in those locations? No bonding bushing on the incoming 2" (250.92)?

Quote Originally Posted by Leespark57 View Post
    Hard to tell from the picture. Panel mounted upside-down? Ok to have mini-breakers in those locations? No bonding bushing on the incoming 2" (250.92)?
    That panel can be mounted with main on top or bottom, there is no "upside down".

QO panels have a rejection feature for tandems, but a non-CTL replacement tandem fits in any position. Those tandems are in the area that would accept tandems if panel is rated for them though, it is always at the far end from the main for say a panel marked 30/40 spaces.

If metal raceway containing service conductors, yes other then a standard locknut is needed to assure bonding to the enclosure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybatrex View Post
    I've got to be honest. The home was abandoned and they said that the panel had several violations in it. I've looked this whole thing over and I'm not seeing anything that sticks out at me. I thought maybe a wire guage or the fact that those conductors are not connected to a breaker but that wouldn't be a violation. I'm stumped also.

Who are "they"? & which code cycle are they expecting the panel to be compliant with? If "they" are a home inspection service that would explain alot
    CircuitRyder --- Unfortunately not all good ideas are code enforceable.