GFCI requirements for Industrial Water Jet Cutters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
Does anyone have any experience with industrial high-pressure water jet cutters for machining and what GFCI code requirements might be applicable? I thought I might find something in Article 422 but I didn't see anything.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Does anyone have any experience with industrial high-pressure water jet cutters for machining and what GFCI code requirements might be applicable? I thought I might find something in Article 422 but I didn't see anything.

I don't consider such an apparatus to be an "appliance".

I would be looking at 210.8(B).

kwired

Electron manager
I don't consider such an apparatus to be an "appliance".

Why not?

Though there is no specific mention of this kind of appliance or GFCI requirements in 422 for such an appliance, it certainly could fulfill the NEC definition of Appliance.

That does bring us back to 210.8 for general GFCI applications - which primarily covers 15 and 20 amp 125 volt receptacles in specific locations, or listing requirements of the equipment is one possibility for GFCI.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Appliance. Utilization equipment, generally other than industrial,
that is normally built in standardized sizes or types
and is installed or connected as a unit to perform one or
more functions such as clothes washing, air conditioning,
food mixing, deep frying, and so forth.

pretty serious stretch to consider it an appliance.

in any case, unless the water jet is spraying water all over the place and making it a wet area, I just don't see any need for GFCI protection.

kwired

Electron manager
pretty serious stretch to consider it an appliance.

in any case, unless the water jet is spraying water all over the place and making it a wet area, I just don't see any need for GFCI protection.

Appliance.
Utilization equipment, generally other than industrial, that is normally built in standardized sizes or types and is installed or connected as a unit to perform one or more functions such as clothes washing, air-conditioning, food mixing, deep frying, and so forth.
The "other than industrial" part maybe makes it not an NEC defined appliance. Otherwise they are probably built in standardized sizes or types and are installed or connected as a unit.

Water spraying all over the place can make it a wet location - which may make portions of 210.8 kick in for any 15 and 20 amp 125 volt receptacles in the area - but not necessarily require protection for the machine itself unless it is powered via 15/20 amp 125 volt cord cap.

jtinge

Occupation
Sr. Elec. Engr
The "other than industrial" part maybe makes it not an NEC defined appliance. Otherwise they are probably built in standardized sizes or types and are installed or connected as a unit.

Water spraying all over the place can make it a wet location - which may make portions of 210.8 kick in for any 15 and 20 amp 125 volt receptacles in the area - but not necessarily require protection for the machine itself unless it is powered via 15/20 amp 125 volt cord cap.

That's kinda what I was thinking. Thanks all for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.