Mounting Disc to Round Object

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cletis

We have to mount a 480V 100 amp 3 phase disconnect next week to a huge (8ft diameter) old cement pillar. Looking for ways to mount it sleek and secure. Initial plan as of today is a 2- 10inch pieces of kindorf and get 4 anchors in each really close like 1" apart with most of kinkorf floating then mount disconnect to that. Any other ideas ?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
With slotted strut at 10", you'll only have five holes. One anchor at each end hole should be sufficient, assuming you are using 1/4" or better hardware

On an 8' DIA. pillar, there will only be about 1/4" gap on each end of strut from pillar surface when balance in center. A few washers and perhaps slightly longer threads should be all that is necessary to a achieve a stable mount.

kwired

Electron manager
With slotted strut at 10", you'll only have five holes. One anchor at each end hole should be sufficient, assuming you are using 1/4" or better hardware

On an 8' DIA. pillar, there will only be about 1/4" gap on each end of strut from pillar surface when balance in center. A few washers and perhaps slightly longer threads should be all that is necessary to a achieve a stable mount.

I was thinking that an 8 ft diameter object would be relatively flat over only a foot wide area of it's surface. I run into walls that are supposed to be "flat" that have more variance than 1/4 inch at times:roll:

To some extent should be easier then trying to mount same object to a 12 inch wood pole.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
an "old" pillar, meaning what, no longer supporting anything? or "old" as in its just been there for 50yrs?

Cletis

an "old" pillar, meaning what, no longer supporting anything? or "old" as in its just been there for 50yrs?

I meant old as in age. It's around 130yrs old. 3 floors deep below ground level. Diameter is close to 8'. Didn't really measure it but i'll take pics next week. I'm thinking for some reason its gonna be around a couple inches but I havent done any geometry or even held up the kindorf yet. I'll take alot of pics and post when we do it early next week. Appreciate the tips

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
When mounting a 1 foot wide piece to an 8 foot diameter column, the end spacing at each end will be 3/8". I don't think an inspector would have any issues about a couple of shim washer to secure each end.

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Just use drop in anchors at the end of each piece of strut, use small pieces of threaded rod, use a nut and washer on each side of the strut. I have done this before for the same situation, mounting a panel on a huge round concrete pillar.

Status
Not open for further replies.