Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PVC use indoors

PVC use indoors

I have always specified metallic conduit, metallic tubing, and metallic cabling for commercial use indoors.

Is there a code reason we couldn't use rigid PVC (Article 352) for feeders and branch circuits concealed in a commercial building?
    Ron

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    There are some fire code restrictions I bet. One of the reasons not to use PVC indoors is the strapping and supporting rules require so many straps its easier to use metal conduit. And even when you strap as much as you should, most folks don't, you still end up with saggy, droopy pipes everywhere.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    There are some fire code restrictions I bet. One of the reasons not to use PVC indoors is the strapping and supporting rules require so many straps its easier to use metal conduit. And even when you strap as much as you should, most folks don't, you still end up with saggy, droopy pipes everywhere.
    +1
    What Dave said.
    Sometimes I don't know whether I'm the boxer or the bag.

I wouldn't doubt there is a fire code rule, maybe similar to the NEC restrictions we have for NM cable in commercial buildings, but I'm at a loss to find them.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by ron View Post
    I have always specified metallic conduit, metallic tubing, and metallic cabling for commercial use indoors.

Is there a code reason we couldn't use rigid PVC (Article 352) for feeders and branch circuits concealed in a commercial building?
    Looking at your location, I wouldn't be surprised if they had a local amendment that was much more restrictive than the NEC. The large city that I live in prohibits PVC except where embedded in concrete.

probably not allowed in plenums

No, definitely not allowed in air plenums.

But if its a non-plenum space, and there are PVC plumbing pipes, I'm not sure why PVC electrical wouldn't be allowed.

Also, not in any assembly spaces per 518, unless you want to encase it in concrete.

Quote Originally Posted by steve66 View Post
    No, definitely not allowed in air plenums.

But if its a non-plenum space, and there are PVC plumbing pipes, I'm not sure why PVC electrical wouldn't be allowed.
    Well, one small difference is that PVC plumbing pipes are not likely to be ignited by a fault inside them and are usually cooled against external heat sources by the liquid inside them.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Well, one small difference is that PVC plumbing pipes are not likely to be ignited by a fault inside them and are usually cooled against external heat sources by the liquid inside them.
    A good percentage of them are for venting and have no liquid in them.
    Tom

" And all the science I don't understand, it's just my job five days a week "