AFCI (yes again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

Got to get me the 2014 NEC, but till then?
2014 NEC, does everything in the kitchen & laundry/utility room {except 240 volt stuff}, require AFCI & GFCI protection? I install a receptacle for the disposal & the dishwasher.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is the article

210.12 Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection.
Arcfault circuit-interrupter protection shall be provided as required in 210.12(A) (B), and (C). The arc-fault circuit interruptershall be installed in a readily accessible location.

(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets or devices installed in dwelling unit kitchens, family rooms, dining
rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, laundry areas, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by any of the means described in 210.12(A)(1) through (6):

(1) A listed combination-type arc-fault circuit interrupter, installed to provide protection of the entire branch circuit

(2) A listed branch/feeder-type AFCI installed at the origin of the branch-circuit in combination with a listed outlet branch-circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupter installed at the first outlet box on the branch circuit. The first outlet box in the branch circuit shall be marked to indicate that it is the first outlet of the circuit.

(3) A listed supplemental arc protection circuit breaker installed at the origin of the branch circuit in combination with a listed outlet branch-circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupter installed at the first outlet box on the branch circuit where all of the following conditions are met:

a. The branch-circuit wiring shall be continuous from the branch-circuit overcurrent device to the outlet branch-circuit arc-fault circuit interrupter.
b. The maximum length of the branch-circuit wiring from the branch-circuit overcurrent device to the first outlet shall not exceed 15.2 m (50 ft) for a 14 AWG conductor or 21.3 m (70 ft) for a 12 AWG conductor.
c. The first outlet box in the branch circuit shall be marked to indicate that it is the first outlet of the circuit.

(4) A listed outlet branch-circuit type arc-fault circuit interrupter installed at the first outlet on the branch circuit in combination with a listed branch-circuit overcurrent protective device where all of the following conditions are met:
a. The branch-circuit wiring shall be continuous from the branch-circuit overcurrent device to the outlet branch-circuit arc-fault circuit interrupter.
b. The maximum length of the branch-circuit wiring from the branch-circuit overcurrent device to the first outlet shall not exceed 15.2 m (50 ft) for a
14 AWG conductor or 21.3 m (70 ft) for a 12 AWG conductor.
c. The first outlet box in the branch circuit shall be marked to indicate that it is the first outlet of the circuit.
d. The combination of the branch-circuit overcurrent device and outlet branch-circuit AFCI shall be identified as meeting the requirements for a system
combination?type AFCI and shall be listed as such.

(5) If RMC, IMC, EMT, Type MC, or steel-armored Type AC cables meeting the requirements of 250.118, metal wireways, metal auxiliary gutters, and metal outlet and junction boxes are installed for the portion of the branch circuit between the branch-circuit overcurrent device and the first outlet, it shall be permitted to install
a listed outlet branch-circuit type AFCI at the first outlet to provide protection for the remaining portion of the branch circuit.

(6) Where a listed metal or nonmetallic conduit or tubing or Type MC cable is encased in not less than 50 mm (2 in.) of concrete for the portion of the branch circuit
between the branch-circuit overcurrent device and the first outlet, it shall be permitted to install a listed outlet branch-circuit type AFCI at the first outlet to provide
protection for the remaining portion of the branch circuit.
Exception: Where an individual branch circuit to a fire alarm system installed in accordance with 760.41(B) or 760.121(B) is installed in RMC, IMC, EMT, or steelsheathed cable, Type AC or Type MC, meeting the requirements of 250.118, with metal outlet and junction boxes, AFCI protection shall be permitted to be omitted.

Informational Note No. 1: For information on combination-type and branch/feeder-type arc-fault circuit interrupters, see UL 1699-2011, Standard for Arc-Fault
Circuit Interrupters.

For information on outlet branchcircuit type arc-fault circuit interupters, see UL Subject 1699A, Outline of Investigation for Outlet Branch Circuit Arc-Fault Circuit-Interrupters. For information on system combination AFCIs, see UL Subject 1699C, Outline of Investigation for System Combination Arc-Fault Circuit Interrupters.

Informational Note No. 2: See 29.6.3(5) of NFPA 72-2013, National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code, for information related to secondary power-supply requirements for smoke alarms installed in dwelling units. Informational Note No. 3: See 760.41(B) and 760.121(B) for power-supply requirements for fire alarm systems.

(B) Branch Circuit Extensions or Modifications ?
Dwelling Units. In any of the areas specified in 210.12(A), where branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced, or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following:
(1) A listed combination-type AFCI located at the origin of the branch circuit
(2) A listed outlet branch-circuit type AFCI located at the first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit Exception: AFCI protection shall not be required where
the extension of the existing conductors is not more than 1.8 m (6 ft) and does not include any additional outlets or devices.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Got to get me the 2014 NEC, but till then?
2014 NEC, does everything in the kitchen & laundry/utility room {except 240 volt stuff}, require AFCI & GFCI protection? I install a receptacle for the disposal & the dishwasher.
Second part of your question - GFCI protection.

2014 changes in typical dwelling unit kitchen involve the dishwasher - which must be protected regardless if hardwired or cord connected, and any receptacle within 6 feet of sink (in any direction) - which many believe makes most cord and plug connected disposers need protection. All other receptacles serving counter top spaces still have same requirement as before, you just may have a receptacle from time to time that doesn't serve a counter top but is within 6 feet of sink that wasn't required to have GFCI protection before.

FREEBALL

while on the subject of GFCI for dishwasher. In the Mike Holt understanding the 2014 NEC in 210.8 6 an authors comment states GFCI protection is required for all receptacles that serve countertop surfaces, but GFCI isn't required for receptacles that serve built in appliances, such as dishwashers etc. Am I missing something here. If its built in then its under the sink and not a countertop receptacle. It states that GFCI protection is required for recpts. within arc measurement of sink. What am I missing here.

FREEBALL

ok I went over 15 minutes had laundry working real simple after I typed a long addition. 210.8 fig 210.44 states outlets supplying dishwashers need gfci but receptacles don't?????. the authors comment states that receptacles that serve dishwashers don't require GFCI. Anybody have the NEC handbook and MIKE HOLTS BOOK that can give an educated opinion on this

Thanx
Be safe

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
while on the subject of GFCI for dishwasher. In the Mike Holt understanding the 2014 NEC in 210.8 6 an authors comment states GFCI protection is required for all receptacles that serve countertop surfaces, but GFCI isn't required for receptacles that serve built in appliances, such as dishwashers etc. Am I missing something here. If its built in then its under the sink and not a countertop receptacle. It states that GFCI protection is required for recpts. within arc measurement of sink. What am I missing here.
Well I believe you are missing something...lol ( or Mike is...lol )

Here is what the 2014 NEC 210.8 Says :

(6) Kitchens ? where the receptacles are installed to serve the countertop surfaces

(7) Sinks ? where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) of the outside edge of the sink

All of which are within :

(A) Dwelling Units. All 125-volt, single-phase, 15- and 20-ampere receptacles installed in the locations specified in 210.8(A)(1) through (10) shall have ground-fault circuit interrupter protection for personnel.

Item (6) is specifically for kitchens....and (7) are for anywhere their is a sink....(Kitchens or Anywhere their is a sink in the dwelling)

Quote possible since Mr. Holt was addressing kitchens in his comments he assumed the remark was for the countertops in the kitchen and no where else. Maybe the context of his statement was while discussing 210.8(B)(6) only.

FREEBALL

ok that is what I was leading to it states within "arc measurement" not just 6 ft. but also the authors comment stated no gfi needed for recpts. for built in dishwashers. this is under 210.8 6. now the illustration in 210.11 is listed fig. 210-44 referencing 210.8 d but says dwelling and states outlets supplying dishwashers must be gfci. Im not trying to defend an install, but really want to substantiate the handbook. Im not trying to cause controversy but is there something in here we are all missing. I know an arc of a circle is on a horizontal plane, regarding countertop placement, so this wording would mean that under cabinets wouldn't be included. Thanx for replying let me know what you think.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
In [2014] the requirement for dishwashers is that the outlet be protected.
If plug wired, the receptacle is the outlet
If hard wired, the box in which the the dishwasher wires or whip connects will be the outlet.
Either way protection I'd required

FREEBALL

In [2014] the requirement for dishwashers is that the outlet be protected.
If plug wired, the receptacle is the outlet
If hard wired, the box in which the the dishwasher wires or whip connects will be the outlet.
Either way protection I'd required

ok please give NEC quote Im looking at it as we speak and its not clear. seems things are reversed.

OK so the authors comment is wrong, is that what we are saying

kwired

Electron manager
ok I went over 15 minutes had laundry working real simple after I typed a long addition. 210.8 fig 210.44 states outlets supplying dishwashers need gfci but receptacles don't?????. the authors comment states that receptacles that serve dishwashers don't require GFCI. Anybody have the NEC handbook and MIKE HOLTS BOOK that can give an educated opinion on this

Thanx
Be safe

Mike Holt as well as the handbook are nothing more then a personal opinion - not an official NFPA interpretation. Now both sources are written by people who's opinions are highly regarded by many, but they are still opinions.

The six foot from the sink rule does not clearly state whether something like a cabinet door can create a separate space that doesn't need to be included in this measurement, nor does it state it must be a straight line or if any six foot length of cord that can reach from the sink to any receptacle means the receptacle is included in those requiring protection. Because of this you will get differences of opinion of what the intent of the NEC is here.

kwired

Electron manager
My statement was a reference to GFCI protection, not AFCI. My bad.
The subject kind of shifted to GFCI. I don't think there is much to question on whether AFCI is required, in 2014 if it is 15/20 amps 120 volts it needs AFCI unless it is in the garage, bathroom, unfinished areas or outdoors, pretty much everything else is required to have AFCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.