Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switch Debacle, LED Dimmer, Space, Please Help :/

Switch Debacle, LED Dimmer, Space, Please Help :/

I have a double gang electrical box that has wiring for a double dimmer switch (dual skylark dimmer) controlling two sets of recessed lighting and a timer module that controls a outdoor lamp by the door.

The issue is after upgrading all the recessed lights with LED lights the dual dimmer module doesn't work properly. I assume its because it isn't LED compatible. The problem is there aren't ant dual LED dimmer modules currently available, which is amazing to me Is there ?

At first i figured id install a larger three gang box and replace it with two individual dimmer switches. Upon removing the box i realized there is wood pretty much on both sides of the box, killing that thought.

Are there any alternatives or creative solutions other than relocating the timer switch ?

Thanks,
    Pete

Cut the wood out.

Quote Originally Posted by mopowr steve View Post
    Cut the wood out.
    Is that even appropriate if its a wall 2x4 ?

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by pasta1234 View Post
    Is that even appropriate if its a wall 2x4 ?

Pete
    I think that the response was tongue in cheek!

On the other hand, if it is a non-load bearing wall, or closely adjacent to a double studded door frame it might not be out of the question. Get a signed and stamped determination from a PE.

And you could always mount another box vertically above the existing space. A two gang with one blanked off might not look too bad.
    Or with the timer centered in it.

afaik, there are no dual dimmer LED rated single gang switches. Yes, we want this, right behind AFCI to go away forever.

I agree with GoldDigger; mount another box vertical of the existing one. If the framing doesnt permit a 3+ gang box, forget the idea of gutting studs.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    If it's a non bearing wall I would cut the stud out.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

This wall is the corner to the front door and a window, so I'm a little reluctant to do that?

As I was staring at the problem I noticed that directly opposite of the lamp outside is a small closet with electrical inside for a light. Since this programmable switch really isn't ever used, is it acceptable to have it inside the closet?

Pete

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Before going to all that trouble, do you know the lamps you installed are actually dimmable? Some LEDs are not. Might be worth trying it out of the wall first.

Box says dimmable..

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    If it's a non bearing wall I would cut the stud out.
    While I'm fairly confident in my ability to determine if a wall is load bearing or not, I dont want the liability that can come with making structural changes w/o consulting an engineer. Im also going on the assumption that the framers arent throwing in extra, useless studs everywhere. I've seen far too many nail pops and drywall seams coming apart even if the framing is right to want to add to that.

Besides, cutting the stud larger than the box size is pretty impossible, and fishing in new wiring on the opposite side of a stud is not the best thing imho.

If it were a 5 gang box and you need 6, are you going to put and o/u switch in, cut in a 6 gang box, or a 1/2 gang above/below the existing box? Would it matter if it were wooden panelling or tile vs drywall?
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!