Ground Rod Myth Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruko

Mr. Holt's video about the myths of grounding rods is enlightening and informing. I look at this in an entirely different way now. Good to know. If say 4 ground rods were used each having the equivalent of 25 ohms resistance back to the source would the resistance be 6.25 ohms? This would trip a 15 amp breaker easily on a 120 volt circuit. I believe the resistances would have to be considered in parallel. A grounding conductor is of course the most sensible way to ground equipment or, as in the case of the video, a lamp pole.

Thanks very much for that video.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
ruko, if the ground rods are far enough apart to be outside the spheres of influence of the other rods, then you can add the resistances in parallel.

iwire

Staff member
If say 4 ground rods were used each having the equivalent of 25 ohms resistance back to the source would the resistance be 6.25 ohms? This would trip a 15 amp breaker easily on a 120 volt circuit.

Ruko, 120/6.25=19.2 amps.

For what it is worth that will not easily trip a 15 amp breaker. If it trips at all it will take a number of minutes.

You need something in the range of 60 -70 or more amps of current to cause a instantaneous trip.

ruko

Ground Rod Myth Video

Ruko, 120/6.25=19.2 amps.

For what it is worth that will not easily trip a 15 amp breaker. If it trips at all it will take a number of minutes.

You need something in the range of 60 -70 or more amps of current to cause a instantaneous trip.

Good point. Forgot about the built in delay. Looking at the tripping curves on some breakers, at 19 amps it will take a while to open.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The standards for both breakers and fuses would permit a 15 amp rated device to carry 20.1 amps forever without tripping. At 20.25 amps the device must open the circuit in one hour or less.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Mr. Holt's video about the myths of grounding rods is enlightening and informing. I look at this in an entirely different way now. Good to know. If say 4 ground rods were used each having the equivalent of 25 ohms resistance back to the source would the resistance be 6.25 ohms? This would trip a 15 amp breaker easily on a 120 volt circuit. I believe the resistances would have to be considered in parallel. A grounding conductor is of course the most sensible way to ground equipment or, as in the case of the video, a lamp pole.

Thanks very much for that video.

Still, a bonding jumper does far better. I have no idea who these ground rod myths came up. I see so many grounding and bonding violations yet all the concern there is exists on ground rods which do little if anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.