What is considered a separate service

Status
Not open for further replies.

cppoly

If a utility brings in multiple sets of cables to one service end box is this considered one service even though it distributes power to two distribution boards?

Is the distinction of a separate service only considered if a utility brings power to separate service end boxes or can one service end box be considered two services if there's a certain amount of amps?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
When you say "multiple" do you mean parallel conductors?

I did not look up in the NEC, but IMO poco or local AHJ will determine what multiple service is.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If the utility provides power to two different different distribution boards, it is two services, regardless of whether the wires from the utility share a common conduit or a common pull box.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If the utility provides power to two different different distribution boards, it is two services, regardless of whether the wires from the utility share a common conduit or a common pull box.
There is an exemption for laterals from same source to different disconnects [230.2; 230.40 Exception No. 2]

cppoly

Yea parallel conductors for 7,000A of service to the building.

They are underground utility conductors coming to one service end box. From there power is distributed to a main distribution board (with C/T cabinet) with one main disconnect, and another main distribution board (with C/T cabinet) with another main disconnect. Each main distribution board has its own utility meter. The reason for the two distribution boards is because of different building ownership for two tenants.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Part of this has me confused. When you describe the service conductors as being in parallel, do you mean that within the service end box all of the A phases are tied to each other, and all of the B phases are tied to each other, and the same for C phase and the neutral? If so, you have one service. But if some of the A phase conductors are tied to each other and from there go to one distribution board, and if the rest of the A phase conductors are tied to each other (but not to the first set), and from there go to the other distribution board, then you have two services.

cppoly

Thanks Charlie. Those details I do not know. So the distinction for a separate service is whether or not the utility's conductors terminate to the same the buss (this would be one service) or terminate on separate busses even though in the same service end box (this would be two services). Is that correct?

mwm1752

All phases in parralell - each phase of parralell tie in common @ utility & before the service disconnects would be a single service lateral/service. Within the code you could have up to six disconnects to shut down a structure. Within the code & permission you can have more than 1 set of service laterals/services. Most common have to do with different voltages & capacity.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Thanks Charlie. Those details I do not know. So the distinction for a separate service is whether or not the utility's conductors terminate to the same the buss (this would be one service) or terminate on separate busses even though in the same service end box (this would be two services). Is that correct?

I don't know if that is what Charles meant but this is correct in my interpretation. "The conductors and equipment for delivering electric energy from the serving utility to the wiring system of the premises served." One premises served one service. Two premises served from separate service conductors two services. At that time care must be taken to comply with 230.2 and 230.40. A set of parallel feeders that join together at a single distribution point and then go out to a group of no more than 6 disconnects (see 230 section VI)

RB1

A single service lateral supplying two sets of service-entrance conductors is two services? According to the description, there appears to be one set of conductors from the utility and one service point. I would consider that one service supplying multiple sets of service-entrance conductors per 230.40 Exception No. 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.