Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20

Thread: Drive time or on the job

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    dallas tx
    Posts
    1,619

    Drive time or on the job

    We have job 2 hrs away.
    What's my best use of time.
    Get a hotel
    Drive back and forth and work x amount of hrs on site
    Drive 4 hrs and work 4 hrs.

    How do I figure what's cost effective


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The hardest faults to clear are mine

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Northern illinois
    Posts
    15,508
    If you get paid for driving does it matter to you? Seems like a boss type decision.

    If you dont get paid for the drive time it is still up to your boss to decide how he wants to handle it.

    Personally, anything more than an hour drive I look at finding a place to stay near the job site.

    But for me the mileage and drive time is on the company. a couple hours is worth maybe $250 so it is pretty easy to figure out the break even point is under an hour drive time.
    Bob

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    dallas tx
    Posts
    1,619

    Drive time or on the job

    I'd have to say my new hat is to help the boss come up with a system that's fair to the employees and the company as well as makes financial sense.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The hardest faults to clear are mine

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    2,006
    Quote Originally Posted by electricalist View Post
    I'd have to say my new hat is to help the boss come up with a system that's fair to the employees and the company as well as makes financial sense.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you ever figure it out, please let us know.
    Tim
    Master Electrician
    New England
    Yesterday's Technology at Tomorrow's Prices

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    dallas tx
    Posts
    1,619
    Well the short math I came up with was as petersonra said anything more than an hour window time is financially counter productive.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The hardest faults to clear are mine

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    32,914
    If it is a longer term project, see if you can work 4 days, stay near the work site, but put in same hours as you normally would in 5 days, and get Friday off. Boss and employees both may like that.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    128
    I did a two week job like this, almost 2 hrs away. The job hours were 7-3:30 Monday through Friday, no OT. I just drove back and forth as my time was better spent at home.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    dallas tx
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    If it is a longer term project, see if you can work 4 days, stay near the work site, but put in same hours as you normally would in 5 days, and get Friday off. Boss and employees both may like that.
    That's a pretty good suggestion.
    The numbers work out so that nobody runs into unnecessary overtime, not a lot of window time, enough hours on site to satisfy production and the GC.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The hardest faults to clear are mine

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Posts
    8,473
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    If it is a longer term project, see if you can work 4 days, stay near the work site, but put in same hours as you normally would in 5 days, and get Friday off. Boss and employees both may like that.
    We did some out of town work, worked four tens, had Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday off, went back on Tuesday and worked four tens and Saturday Sunday off. Two four day weekends and two regular weekends a month, it was great.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,398
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    We did some out of town work, worked four tens, had Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday off, went back on Tuesday and worked four tens and Saturday Sunday off. Two four day weekends and two regular weekends a month, it was great.
    Back in the days when I worked for the man I wouldn't work out of town for straight time. The only reason I would travel is to make money. If I have stay out of town and live in a hotel I expect to work at least 12 hours a day and 7 days a week. I would have worked more but needed some drinking time.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •