Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: For those of you who are following the Tesla/Musk solar PV roof tiles

Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    Code interpretation seems like a nightmare on rapid shutdown and wiring protection. The latter has been one of the failing points of other products.
    Right! Clearly no one invited firfighters to the product development round table. They aren't going to like the fact that the array could be virtually indistinguishable from the roof. Adding rapid shutdown sounds like an expensive PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by SolarPro View Post
    Right! Clearly no one invited firfighters to the product development round table. They aren't going to like the fact that the array could be virtually indistinguishable from the roof. Adding rapid shutdown sounds like an expensive PITA.
    Wonder what's going to happen when Fred Firefighter whips out his ax to vent the attic? "Surprise, surprise!" <<Gomer Pyle voice>>

Wonder how this will work in states like Illinois, where you have to have a state roofers license to install roofs?
    Don, Illinois
    Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity. Dr. Rick Rigsby

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldDigger View Post
    Might make for a nice diverse green business.
    Energy certifications to pay the bills and solar roof installation for variety.
    My fear is that they will be tied to one installation contractor, like Solar City, for example.
    well, i put a contact request in via the website.

i've not looked closely at the vendor vetting path, as it seems there isn't one.
    it seems to be a solar city thing.....

in the next couple years, i'm going to have to do a roof on my house.
    if there's a good system, i would be looking at it, but....

if it's a YUUUUGE install cost, that isn't gonna happen obviously.
    i'm suspecting tesla may very well price themselves well above
    the marketplace.
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

There has been no price point on this product yet. Always the goal of $.40/W but no inital cost. What I have read there will be a lot of connections to be made on the back side as these are smaller than regular panels. Not sure if they'll be made behind the roofing material or inside the attic. Rumor is it could be hundreds.

Quote Originally Posted by Chamuit View Post
    There has been no price point on this product yet. Always the goal of $.40/W but no inital cost. What I have read there will be a lot of connections to be made on the back side as these are smaller than regular panels. Not sure if they'll be made behind the roofing material or inside the attic. Rumor is it could be hundreds.
    I saw an estimate that the average roof will need about 1,000 shingle. So, 2,000 connections, minimum, before you start talking about strings and such.

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    There are other fundamental issues. Having your roofing material integrated into your solar array is not a good thing, in my opinion. When one function fails you have to service both and you have to pay for someone with both sets of skills, which is someone who barely exists right now. Tesla's products have no track record as a roofing product. And I can't really forgive Musk's snobbery about appearances. I mean, nearly nobody has a slate roof, that's a luxury item by itself. And while maybe 5 percent of solar customers care that much for aesthetics, his comments potentially increase that number and make sales a bit more difficult for conventional systems.
    the whole thing with this obviously, is the curb appeal.
    the folks four doors down from me put an array on the
    street side of their roof. it's uglier than a mud fence. that
    is just being honest. could have been put on the side
    of the house, and the yield would have been the same.

so, doing it is something i'd like to do if it can be done
    within reason.

as far as lowering my energy consumption, i can accomplish
    far more with a heat exchanger that pulls the heat out of my
    attic, and heats the pool water with it.

that eliminates running the 400k btu pool heater, and running
    an air conditioner as well. but it's a mile off topic, as usual..

http://www.solarattic.com/index.htm
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by don_resqcapt19 View Post
    Wonder how this will work in states like Illinois, where you have to have a state roofers license to install roofs?
    Good point. In California a C-10 (Electrical) or C-46 (Solar) contractor would probably be on shaky ground to install this without involving a C-39 (Roofer), and vice versa. Of course SolarCity has a GC license so they don't care. Indeed, my feeling is that this stuff is too ambitious for any project that isn't already being done through a GC, i.e. new construction or extensive remodel.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulthrotl View Post
    the whole thing with this obviously, is the curb appeal.
    the folks four doors down from me put an array on the
    street side of their roof. it's uglier than a mud fence. that
    is just being honest. could have been put on the side
    of the house, and the yield would have been the same.

Is the roofing material on that house pretty? Did you ever look at the roof beforehand? Does it have any ugly vents on it?

Granted, I'm not saying you don't have a valid viewpoint, I've not seen this install. And if they're silver-on-white modules or it's just a badly designed array then sure, call it ugly. But I think most people find black-on-black modules to be as attractive if not more so than asphalt shingle. And the more common solar arrays have become in these parts it seems to me I hear less and less about bad reactions. I think a lot of people just trip all over the first one they see because they've never seen one before. Once they become common in an area people forget all about it. Most people who aren't roofing or solar contractors don't spend any time looking at other peoples roofs.

When you combine a PV module and a roof tile you get the worst of both worlds; an inefficient and costly PV array (temperature, connectors, logistics, licensing, etc) and a roof with a 50 year price tag but only a 25 year life span.

You would save money by just replacing your roof with 30 year architectural shingles and buying shares in a community solar garden.

Quote Originally Posted by BandGap1.1eV View Post
    ...buying shares in a community solar garden.
    At least in states where that's allowed.