Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old metal 4" square boxes covers

old metal 4" square boxes covers

I am working on a residential renovation, and found a lot of open boxes, that of course just need a blank 4" square cover. Any one knows if it is still available for this discontinued boxes?. I don't want to start cutting and drilling the new covers available for the new boxes now. Thanks for your responses
    Miguel

All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must likewise do to them

Well since you didn't show the box, that's going to be hard to answer.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10
    Certified Electrical Inspector

Sorry about that. Sometimes you think that people see what you have in you mind.
    If you see , the meta tab where the threaded hole for the 6-32 screw use to be farther from the corner, The modern 1900's have them very close to the corner. So the distance from screw to screw is different from this old boxes. We can not put the modern blank cover because the slots do not align, so we have to cut or drill them. Very time consuming.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Miguel

All things, therefore, that you want men to do to you, you also must likewise do to them

I found a bunch of those style blanks years ago at a local privately owned Hardware store on clearance as they were becoming a chain hardware store, check around there. I have also seen them online, I'll have to look at my bookmarks when I am home.

Depending on how many you need, I'd just drill them out.

I also have a few in my shop from jobs we've demoed over the years for just this reason.

Albuquerque, New Mexico ,Untied States of America
    Hello,
    I am sure Garvin sells an accessory to screw them to the box, it's a little tab, checkout their website.
    Here's the URL for the tabs.

http://www.garvinindustries.com/elec...b-converter/ec

Quote Originally Posted by mtnelectrical View Post
    Sorry about that. Sometimes you think that people see what you have in you mind.
    If you see , the meta tab where the threaded hole for the 6-32 screw use to be farther from the corner, The modern 1900's have them very close to the corner. So the distance from screw to screw is different from this old boxes. We can not put the modern blank cover because the slots do not align, so we have to cut or drill them. Very time consuming.
    Last edited by pjholguin; 05-02-17 at 02:21 PM.
    PJHolguin 8-)

So you want to add holes to a UL listed cover?
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by petersonra View Post
    So you want to add holes to a UL listed cover?
    That's what he's trying to avoid.
    I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10

Quote Originally Posted by mtnelectrical View Post
    Just a question are you sure that's not a 5s box?

John Childress
    Electrical Inspector
    IAEI / CEI / C10

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyjwc View Post
    Just a question are you sure that's not a 5s box?
    Hmmm, could be, could be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4 and 11-16 box.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	17488

or this, for a drawn box

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5S box.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	17489

The OP's picture shows a old style 4s box where the ears are in a different place than modern 4s. Those Garvin adapters should work fine.