Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: garage door opener wiring

Quote Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
    Do the censors go on the wall on both sides of the doors ? do they go on the inside or outside ? Also what is the guage and numbers of the conductors for the bell wire
    Sensors are usually mounted on a bracket that clips onto the door track with most newer door openers. They go on the inside and within a foot from the floor (see instructions for exact height requirement). The idea is they will detect children or pets passing through the door while it is closing and will reverse the door to prevent injury if there is anything obstructing the path between the sensors.

The sensors come with enough cable to reach the door operator, but if pre-wiring before you have the door operator or replacing one that was run within the walls/ceiling you pretty much will cut off most of it and end up splicing conductors.

I have always used 18-2 "thermostat" wire though what comes with the sensors is probably only 20 or 22 AWG.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    What many called bell wire is simply 2 wire T-stat wire. I used to run 3 wire just in case one wire got corrupted. No problem running that in the walls

None the less, it was a good point. That being, some cable is not listed for installing concealed in an wall, or ceiling cavity, so verify application or install a chase.

I know what I don't know, and I know where to go to find it!

Albuquerque, New Mexico ,Untied States of America
    I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by Strathead View Post
    None the less, it was a good point. That being, some cable is not listed for installing concealed in an wall, or ceiling cavity, so verify application or install a chase.
    PJHolguin 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    I don't think bell wire is rated for inside the wall use. If you plan on burying it, keep that in mind. I use cat5 for all the garage wires and it works fine.
    My mom's house (in Fla.) has cat 5 for the garage door button and sensors. Seems like a Florida thing. It was built by a big homebuilder and wired by hacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    What many called bell wire is simply 2 wire T-stat wire.
    The bell wire I got in trouble with was twisted pair. That's what I was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Coppersmith View Post
    The bell wire I got in trouble with was twisted pair. That's what I was referring to.
    Only used that (the one and only roll I ever bought) on unfinished garages. Otherwise, it was jacketed wire all the way.

Can the cable that comes with the door opener be installed within walls/ceilings?

It is usually already connected to the sensors, but they also give you a coil of same type to use for the wall control.

Never looked to see if it has any markings on it.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Can the cable that comes with the door opener be installed within walls/ceilings?

It is usually already connected to the sensors, but they also give you a coil of same type to use for the wall control.

Never looked to see if it has any markings on it.
    It carries a few micro amps. I'd put it in the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by peter d View Post
    It carries a few micro amps. I'd put it in the wall.
    I hear you and I would put it in the wall myself. Just wondering what those that follow every rule no matter how minor it may seem have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    those that follow every rule no matter how minor
    Isn't this called the "code forum"? If it was called the "hack forum", well then ...