Thread: 16AWG-20/18 AWG Wiring connection

16AWG-20/18 AWG Wiring connection

Hi All,

I have got some hardwired low voltage transformer enclosures.

http://sgilighting.ca/product/led-po...2vdc-dimmable/

I plan on leaving Line voltage connectors inside the metal enclosure so that coming out of the enclosures I have just a cable that can be hardwire and is wrapped by a metal conduit. is there a safety concern there? or should I be doing the wiring connections outside the enclosure?

Also, I have 16 AWG on the low voltage side coming out of the adapter but the LED light came with a 20 AWG wire. Is there a safety concern connecting the two? Current will still carry but I am ideally looking for the safest possible way to wire this set up.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sarray; 05-03-17 at 05:20 PM.

The output appears to be a class 2 circuit. you can use any method article 725 says you can to wire class 2 circuits including the use of metal conduit.
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Sarray View Post
    Hi All,

I have got some hardwired low voltage transformer enclosures.

http://sgilighting.ca/product/led-po...2vdc-dimmable/

I plan on leaving Line voltage connectors inside the metal enclosure so that coming out of the enclosures I have just a cable that can be hardwire and is wrapped by a metal conduit. is there a safety concern there? or should I be doing the wiring connections outside the enclosure?

Also, I have 16 AWG on the low voltage side coming out of the adapter but the LED light came with a 20 AWG wire. Is there a safety concern connecting the two? Current will still carry but I am ideally looking for the safest possible way to wire this set up.
    The install pics have those connections inside the enclosure. As for joining 16 and 20ga wire, just make sure your connector is rated for both gauges. I know Scotchlok UR3s only work on 19ga and smaller. If you go wirenuts, use the smallest possible one, and I give it a good tug after it's on.
    Electricians do it until it Hertz!