Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 200 amp services all electric houses

Some of you remember the days in the 60's and 70's when PEPCO (Potomac Electric POCO) here in Va., Md., D.C. promoted all-electric homes, they were called "Gold Medallion" homes, with a badge placed on the front door.... they all had 200A services
    Mt. Falls, Va.
    "Not a sermon, just a thought"
    A licensed electrically-related individual

200 amp used to be status symbol around here until we started seeing more large homes with 400 amp services. Usually overkill in both cases
    Dave Ruth
    Ready Electric

Tesla

My son's Tesla charger uses 72 amps continuous load.

Quote Originally Posted by readydave8 View Post
    200 amp used to be status symbol around here until we started seeing more large homes with 400 amp services. Usually overkill in both cases
    My meter socket is bigger than yours!!

Quote Originally Posted by mlnk View Post
    My son's Tesla charger uses 72 amps continuous load.
    Does that mean it draws that current level for 3 hours or more?

That is ~17.28 kW and at 10 cents per kWhr would be $1.73 an hour to charge. How far can you drive on 1 hour of charge? If it were in state of full discharge does it take more then 3 hours to fully charge at that high of a charging rate?

Quote Originally Posted by readydave8 View Post
    I was in a house along the causeway between Miami and Miami Beach.
    It had 800 amp service. And a backup generator, and .......

Quote Originally Posted by Open Neutral View Post
    I was in a house along the causeway between Miami and Miami Beach.
    It had 800 amp service. And a backup generator, and .......
    I installed 4-200 amp main breakers in a house once, but that was partly because it cost less to do it that way then to put in a single main ahead of the four panels that likely could have been 400 amps.

Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    That is ~17.28 kW and at 10 cents per kWhr would be $1.73 an hour to charge. How far can you drive on 1 hour of charge? If it were in state of full discharge does it take more then 3 hours to fully charge at that high of a charging rate?
    Teslas have batteries sized from 60 to 100 kWh, so a Tesla certainly could draw 17 kW continuously for over 3 hours. As for how far you can go on a given charge, that depends on your speed, driving style, temperature, etc. But I think you can get 3 mi/kWh at freeway speeds without much trouble, which would be 50 mi/hour of charging at 17 kW.

Cheers, Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by wwhitney View Post
    Teslas have batteries sized from 60 to 100 kWh, so a Tesla certainly could draw 17 kW continuously for over 3 hours. As for how far you can go on a given charge, that depends on your speed, driving style, temperature, etc. But I think you can get 3 mi/kWh at freeway speeds without much trouble, which would be 50 mi/hour of charging at 17 kW.

Cheers, Wayne
    If I follow correctly and the electric rate is 10 cents a kWhr, then that means it cost about $1.70 to travel 50 miles at freeway speeds?

Compared to a car that gets 30 MPG, and lets say $2.25/gallon gas - it should cost about $3.74 to travel 50 miles.

If the car gets around 110-115 MPG then your energy cost is about same for either, at the energy rates mentioned.

If enough people get EV's, will electric rates go up, or at least have some higher demand rates if you charge your vehicle at the wrong time of day? May already be seeing this in some instances?

Huntington Beach, CA (19 Hrs. 22 Min. from Winged Horses)
    Quote Originally Posted by mtfallsmikey View Post
    Some of you remember the days in the 60's and 70's when PEPCO (Potomac Electric POCO) here in Va., Md., D.C. promoted all-electric homes, they were called "Gold Medallion" homes, with a badge placed on the front door.... they all had 200A services
    SCE did the same gold medallion rollout in the 60's here.

my house is one of them. someone changed out the gold medallion
    doorbell for a funky one... i'm looking for an original one to replace it.

SCG sued SCE, and won, as the gold medallion program here *prohibited*
    gas service from being available on the property. in the late 60's, they added
    gas to the entire tract, and SCE paid for the retrofit. restraint of trade was a
    compelling argument, and edison lost.

my parent's house in 1962 was gold medallion, and had an electric pool heater.
    and a 400 amp service. the first month we turned on the pool heater, the
    electric bill was larger than the mortgage payment. we never did that again.
    i was only 7, but remember standing in front of the electric panel, listening
    to the sound of the meter spinning when the pool heater was on.

you could actually hear it whirring in there.

https://www.thespruce.com/gold-medal...nition-1821516
    ~New signature under construction.~
    ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~