Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shielded ground wire.

Quote Originally Posted by Inyoinspector View Post
    ... We also do 2 rods no closer than 6' apart so there is more than 8' in contact in the ground. ...
    NEC requires 8' in contact with earth for each rod electrode.
    I'll never get there. No matter where I go, I'm always here.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. The armor is aluminum and is required here for any stranded ground. We also do 2 rods no closer than 6' apart so there is more than 8' in contact in the ground. No armor is required if its #6 or larger and solid, #8 solid would also need to mechanically protected. (At least according to the building official) Ca has a few extra codes.
    How often are you seeing smaller then 6 AWG GEC's?

Though I could get by with 8 AWG in some instances, 6 AWG is smallest bare conductor I ever stock. Seems it would be less cost and hassle to just run 6 AWG then to sleeve 8 AWG with aluminum armor anyway.

NEC never mentions any solid vs stranded difference from physical protection perspective.

I also agree if the armor were steel it would need to be bonded to the contained conductor at both ends, aluminum should only need bonded in one place.

The armored grounding conductor pictured is a "ANTI-THEFT GROUND WIRE IN CONDUIT" model with steel armor crimped every 6" to 8". I would think no special bonding would be required.
    I'll never get there. No matter where I go, I'm always here.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionDave View Post
    I would called that armored. I'd also say that is something I've never seen before, but I think there was a previous discussion about that stuff. 250.64 (E) is the code section that applies.
    You might be referring to this thread?
    Another Al in Minnesota

Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min without traffic from winged horses.
    Quote Originally Posted by al hildenbrand View Post
    You might be referring to this thread?
    That's it!
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    In the strangest of places if you look at it right. Robert Hunter

We have some controversy in regards to the need to bond the shielding at the ground clamp to rod connection. When running two ground rods with shielded grounding wire do you need 2 clamps at the first rod in order to continue the bonding of the shielding material between the two rods or is the contact of the shielding to the wire sufficiently bonded?
    The pictured ground rod clamp / armored ground wire clamp (the MVP99) that you have in your earlier post, above, has these instructions:
    Click for Pg 1
    Click for Pg 2

The web page for the MVP99 is available by clicking here.

Note that the armor does NOT have to be removed for this specific clamp, per its instructions.

If I were installing armored ground wire with this clamp, I would only use one clamp, unless I deliberately ended the wire, and attached a second length wire. That is, I wouldn't strip away any armor, and I'd follow the directions of the manufacturer and only install one clamp.
    Another Al in Minnesota

Once again thanks to all for the clarification.