Thread: ac overcurrent device

ac overcurrent device

Hi

Just to be sure. Do I need in AC side (solaredge system) the overcurrent device rating---> Inverters amp*1.25? This rule is clear in conductors.

I was reeding again NEC code...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by jjavier View Post
    Hi

Just to be sure. Do I need in AC side (solaredge system) the overcurrent device rating---> Inverters amp*1.25? This rule is clear in conductors.

I was reeding again NEC code...
    Yes. The 125% factor applies for all inverter output OCPDs, unless the OCPD and all within its enclosure are otherwise listed as continuous duty (which is uncommon).

Quote Originally Posted by Carultch View Post
    Yes. The 125% factor applies for all inverter output OCPDs, unless the OCPD and all within its enclosure are otherwise listed as continuous duty (which is uncommon).
    I understand that there is a 3rd option of a adjustable CB that is my situation. If we have an adjustable CB, that meets 240.6, we just need the nominal amp rating (without *1.25), don´t we?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by jjavier View Post
    I understand that there is a 3rd option of a adjustable CB that is my situation. If we have an adjustable CB, that meets 240.6, we just need the nominal amp rating (without *1.25), don´t we?
    If you have an adjustible trip breaker, it is still 1.25*I_continuous that sizes your breaker trip setting. Unless the unit is otherwise listed and labeled continuous duty.

Yes you can go 100% on an adjustable breaker because they are 100% rated but be careful. Depending on what style of breaker it is they are generally about double the price. We just quoted some breakers for a I-line Square D panel and the normal breaker was $4000 and the adjustable was $7000. I'm sure you won't see prices this high but the point is be prepared to pay significantly more for the adjustable opposed to the 125% sized breaker.