Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 6" Downlight in Wood vs. Gyp Clg.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,458

    6" Downlight in Wood vs. Gyp Clg.

    Would it take longer to install the same down light in a wood ceiling as opposed to gypsum clg.? If so why. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Atlanta,GA
    Posts
    5,336
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Would it take longer to install the same down light in a wood ceiling as opposed to gypsum clg.? If so why. Thanks.
    Sure it takes longer. If you are the one that will be cutting the hole. What type of wood are you talking about ?

    If you are just installing the fixture and it's new contruction and the trim guys will be trimming in around the fixture there shouldn't be a problem.

    You should probably give more information about what you are doing.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    NE Nebraska
    Posts
    32,585
    Depends on what is used to cut the hole.

    Mistakes on cutting hole are not as easily repaired in wood as in drywall.

    As said if this is a "rough in" then come back and install trim - shouldn't require any installation differences from the electrician.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,458
    Quote Originally Posted by growler View Post
    Sure it takes longer. If you are the one that will be cutting the hole. What type of wood are you talking about ?

    If you are just installing the fixture and it's new contruction and the trim guys will be trimming in around the fixture there shouldn't be a problem.

    You should probably give more information about what you are doing.
    Yes we would always cut opening.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,458
    Quote Originally Posted by kwired View Post
    Depends on what is used to cut the hole.

    Mistakes on cutting hole are not as easily repaired in wood as in drywall.

    As said if this is a "rough in" then come back and install trim - shouldn't require any installation differences from the electrician.
    New construction ..have to cut opening in either surface.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,400
    Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    New construction ..have to cut opening in either surface.
    If its new construction why the electrician be cutting the holes? Recessed housings and wiring should be installed before the finished surfaces are installed.
    Curt Swartz
    Electrical Contractor

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,458
    Quote Originally Posted by curt swartz View Post
    If its new construction why the electrician be cutting the holes? Recessed housings and wiring should be installed before the finished surfaces are installed.
    Sorry my mistake...your correct.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •