Thread: Lighting retrofit

Lighting retrofit

Are lighting retrofits profitable? I keep hearing how we are not making any money doing them but yet we keep bidding them....
    .....Still just happy to be here.....

I bid them at my normal labor rate so they are just as profitable as any other work I do. However, they are hard to get because they are expensive to do. Most clients realize the pay back period is too long.

It depends on what you are retrofitting. I did 450ea. MR-16/ 50 watt halogens with 7 watt (I think) Cree led MR-16's and the ROI was @ 5 months and the rebate paid $10.00 per bulb and at that time, about 2.5 years ago, that was half of the cost. I just looked before this post and the power company is still offering $10 per bulb up to 75% of Ttl. job costs and the bulbs have dropped significantly in price. I am and end user so I get the "price shock" that most folks have , but in many cases the ROI is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Allen View Post
    It depends on what you are retrofitting. I did 450ea. MR-16/ 50 watt halogens with 7 watt (I think) Cree led MR-16's and the ROI was @ 5 months and the rebate paid $10.00 per bulb and at that time, about 2.5 years ago, that was half of the cost. I just looked before this post and the power company is still offering $10 per bulb up to 75% of Ttl. job costs and the bulbs have dropped significantly in price. I am and end user so I get the "price shock" that most folks have , but in many cases the ROI is worth it.
    OP is asking if there is any profit in being the contractor that does the retrofits.

Yes prices may be high to the end user, but whether it is a $100, $1K, or $1M project, your final sale price must be more then your costs or you still lose money.