Multiple Service Taps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronlow00

I attached a pdf of the scenario i have questions on, please take a quick look at it.

1) Can a service feed be taped without over current protection ahead of the taps as shown in the attached pdf?
2) If the answer is yes, what would be minimum required size for each of the conductors shown in the attached pdf?

Attachments

• Service Feed Diagram.pdf
    58.6 KB · Views: 8

ronlow00

Confused?

Confused?

I see a few people have looked at the post but no responses. Just curious if this is a difficult question or if people are afraid of opening an attachment?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I attached a pdf of the scenario i have questions on, please take a quick look at it.

1) Can a service feed be taped without over current protection ahead of the taps as shown in the attached pdf?
2) If the answer is yes, what would be minimum required size for each of the conductors shown in the attached pdf?

1. As long as you follow the tap rules for services and there is an appropriate way and place to make the tap where you want to make it. Another poster suggested a few provisions of the code that might be helpful. You might also want to look at 230.33.

2. It kind of depends on the calculated load to some extent, but if you sized the conductor ampacity to equal or exceed the rating of the CB it connects to it would always be legal.

I think a lot of people are afraid to comment on this kind of question because often a lot of details are left out that might be germane.

For instance, presumably the CT cabinet is for metering and may be owned by the POCO. They may have their own rules about what you can do there.

You seem to be showing a lug or terminal coming into the CT cabinet and another going out. Presumably you would want to tap on the downstream side. If the lug(s) supplied only allow for the three existing connections, it may not be all that easy to get another conductor or set of conductors in there.

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
From a POCO standpoint...likely as long as there are no more than six grouped disconnects and all equipment is rated as Service Equipment, that would fly. Some utilities (like us) require bussing instead of wires if over 1000A. Of course, there would really be two CT's for a single phase service. I won't comment on wire size.

shortcircuit2

Are there "Tap" rules for service entrance conductors?

1. 2-sets 600MCM copper
2. 4/0 copper
3. 1 set 600MCM copper
4. 1 set 600MCM copper

No overcurrent protection on the SE conductors feeding the CT Cabinet.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
with the info given, I agree with the above posts.
With calculated loads per service, you might be able to reduce #3 and #4 to 500s

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are there "Tap" rules for service entrance conductors?

1. 2-sets 600MCM copper
2. 4/0 copper
3. 1 set 600MCM copper
4. 1 set 600MCM copper

No overcurrent protection on the SE conductors feeding the CT Cabinet.

No, the 10' and 25' rules are for feeder taps.

Status
Not open for further replies.