Tie-wrapping liquitight to gas pipe - violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RTU's are gas and electric and the electrician tie-wrapped liquitight to gas pipe, approximately 20'. Is this a code violation? We are currently using the 2008 NEC code.

I appreciate any in-put.

John Evorik
Evorik Electric
Crown Point, IN

USMC1302

RTU= Roof top unit most likely. John, I'm a fellow CP native, but no code guru. 300.11 or something like that has been mentioned by some before. I'm sure the experts will be along shortly...

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
IMO it is not a NEC violation. The NEC prohibits supporting other systems from conduit, but not supporting conduit from other systems.

It might violate some other code.

mirawho

PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric) requires a minimum of 36" from any electrical cables or equipment in California. That is for meter locations and gas risers. I would use that as a rule of thumb and say the liquitite is a no-go.

rlundsrud

If you look at art. 350.30 (A), it states that LFMC shall be secured in place by an approved means. Approved refers to the AHJ, if he/she says it's OK then your good as far as the NEC is concerned. I can't speak for the codes regarding supportimg it to a gas pipe, I personally wouldn't have installed it that way. Why did the EC use 20' of LFMC instead of running rigid then transitioning to the LFMC for last 6' or so? It seems sloppy to me.

iwire

Staff member
PG&E (Pacific Gas & Electric) requires a minimum of 36" from any electrical cables or equipment in California. That is for meter locations and gas risers. I would use that as a rule of thumb and say the liquitite is a no-go.

No way you can use that as a 'rule of thumb' as we have to bring electrical cables much closer than that to gas fired appliances.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO it is not a NEC violation. The NEC prohibits supporting other systems from conduit, but not supporting conduit from other systems.

It might violate some other code.

I agree too. The NEC is really silent on this type of installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.