Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: AC PV wire

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    75

    AC PV wire

    Could we use PV wire in ac solaredge output?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,655
    I suppose you could. I'm not sure what the point would be.

    You would have to run the conductors together in a raceway and account for the non-standard diameter if calculating conduit fill.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    75

    AC 6awg cable tray

    Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    I suppose you could. I'm not sure what the point would be.

    You would have to run the conductors together in a raceway and account for the non-standard diameter if calculating conduit fill.
    Really the issue is 1/0 size in cable tray minimum, NEC allow you PV wire in cable tray less than 1/0. But I am not sure if inverters output are included

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,655
    Quote Originally Posted by jjavier View Post
    Really the issue is 1/0 size in cable tray minimum, NEC allow you PV wire in cable tray less than 1/0. But I am not sure if inverters output are included
    They are not. That section specifically refers to pv source or output circuit and an inverter output circuit is not one of those.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by jaggedben View Post
    They are not. That section specifically refers to pv source or output circuit and an inverter output circuit is not one of those.
    ok thanks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by jjavier View Post
    Really the issue is 1/0 size in cable tray minimum, NEC allow you PV wire in cable tray less than 1/0. But I am not sure if inverters output are included
    You can use multiconductor type TC cable for this application, if you do desire to use a cable tray. And not have to use 1/0 and larger.

    I don't understand why there needs to be an exclusion of AC, when using PV wire of all sizes in a cable tray. Or why we have the 1/0 and larger rule in the first place. As in, what physical hazard happens because of it?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    75

    Tc cable

    Quote Originally Posted by Carultch View Post
    You can use multiconductor type TC cable for this application, if you do desire to use a cable tray. And not have to use 1/0 and larger.

    I don't understand why there needs to be an exclusion of AC, when using PV wire of all sizes in a cable tray. Or why we have the 1/0 and larger rule in the first place. As in, what physical hazard happens because of it?
    That is the issue.

    We have to use 6AWG copper in solaredge ac, and on the roof, it´s very hard to comply with the amps (50.1Amps in 6awg).

    The roof will have restricted access. Can we use cable tray (TC )(5 conductors) on the solar roof? Must be covered if it is UV resistant?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by jjavier View Post
    That is the issue.

    We have to use 6AWG copper in solaredge ac, and on the roof, it´s very hard to comply with the amps (50.1Amps in 6awg).

    The roof will have restricted access. Can we use cable tray (TC )(5 conductors) on the solar roof? Must be covered if it is UV resistant?
    FYI, the neutral doesn't count as a CCC in this application. With a typical temperature derate from 75A at 90C, 3.5" above the roof, the #6 Cu should have enough ampacity if you have a dedicated conduit for each inverter.

    In any case, the UV resistance and the restricted access, should be enough not to need a cable tray cover.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •